Campsite charcoal?

Sep 18, 2011
Ok-I am not up to speed on what Native American charcoal pits look like. These were from a NA site but not sure what they are. Both are black. Both are light in weight. The larger piece is a mix between high gloss and dull surface. The larger piece appears to contain small stone as temper. Is this charcoal or another natural stone? How were charcoal pits made?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    931.7 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    952 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
Upvote 0

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first piece looks like coal slag from an old train, I find it on my place where an old logging train run through the area. None of it looks like burn pits charcoal which don't change much over the years. Charcoal pits in my area is from a camp fire that got covered over with dirt or from a tree stump that burned out and left the coals.

Last edited:

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have to wonder if something is charcoal or not, there is a good possibility it is not. Take a small piece, wet it, crush it in your fingers. If it streaks and smears like charcoal, you'll know it is.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first pic appears to have shell flakes, and could be pottery......

OP
OP
A
Sep 18, 2011
I thought pottery but some sides are extremely glossy-like obsidian. Does pottery ever result in glossy surfaces?

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a chance that a old homestead was close by, I have never seen pottery with a gloss glaze that was made by NA. Like the other have said you will know charcoal when you find it, I find charcoal in a zone that I find prehistoric fossils and there is no doubt what it is.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slag it comes in all different colors some rough some smooth. Fools me sometimes till I pick it up.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you asked this question since it opens the door for my questions on charcoal which I will create a different thread and not hijack yours. Also, I've seen that type of whatever it is a lot when I lived in Georgia and always wondered about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread