Can any one help with what kind of bell this is ,I can't find anything regarding it.

Kanbo1967

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2021
Wyoming
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1916835 20210407_165909.jpg

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to the site..:hello:

Does it have any hallmarks, writing or stamps in the metal?

How tall is it? What metal is it made of?

Cleaned up your pic. Try taking the pic in natural light.

20210407_165918-2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Figure on top looks like Manbearpig..8-)

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It might be a bearmanpig, but I think it's a bigfoot dinner bell. Try ringing it outside and see what it attracts. Be ready to run, though.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a "Bear bell". Really. Some hikers and campers believe the sound of a bell will keep bears away.

s-l1600.jpg

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not seeing a bear... and I thought bear bells were to be clipped on your clothing, not rung by hand.

It looks to me like a vintage or possibly antique 'temple bell' used in prayer rituals by Hindus and likely from India or Thailand. The handle looks to be a representation of 'Hanuman' as 'Lord of Monkeys', which is a common theme for religious items of this kind.

Hanuman.jpg

Upvote 0

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a "Bear bell". Really. Some hikers and campers believe the sound of a bell will keep bears away.

View attachment 1916878

Reminded me of a co-worker that wasn't liked too much. After moving to Alaska, she posted on Facebook that people told her to wear a bell when outside of town. I always thought of it as a bear call.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When in bear country, remember to wear your bear bells and carry a pepper spray. Also scout round for any recent bear droppings to check what kind of bears are in the area. It’s easy to tell. Black bear droppings contain small seeds and berries. Grizzly bear droppings contain little bells and smell of pepper.

Upvote 0

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be a monkey... but it sure looks like Bigfoot to me! Good luck with the ID. thanks for posting.

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not seeing a bear... and I thought bear bells were to be clipped on your clothing, not rung by hand.

It looks to me like a vintage or possibly antique 'temple bell' used in prayer rituals by Hindus and likely from India or Thailand. The handle looks to be a representation of 'Hanuman' as 'Lord of Monkeys', which is a common theme for religious items of this kind.

View attachment 1916879

You've convinced me.

Upvote 0

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monkey Bell for religion would have human body. I think it's a 1960's American made folksy piece.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monkey Bell for religion would have human body.

Hindu 'temple' art may depict Hanuman with monkey head and human body or fully as a monkey... both clothed and unclothed. As a generality, older pieces are more likely to be fully embodied as a monkey and more likely to be unclothed/unadorned. That would apply to bells as well as other temple and prayer paraphernalia.

Hanuman Figures.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Kanbo1967

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2021
Wyoming
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen anything yet ,I was told it was brass ,but it has a lot of build up on it you couldn't even see at all what the handle was before using a little brass cleaner on it.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up Sarna India, as a lot of brass bells are from there. Then use Hanuman to bring up those images. It is a place to begin your search. My wife has quite a few brass bells from that region.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When in bear country, remember to wear your bear bells and carry a pepper spray. Also scout round for any recent bear droppings to check what kind of bears are in the area. It’s easy to tell. Black bear droppings contain small seeds and berries. Grizzly bear droppings contain little bells and smell of pepper.

lol.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the instructions:

"If placing bell on bear it is best to do so during periods of hibernation."

I hate putting the bell on during hibernation... they wont move to get it on...

much easier when they are eating or cleaning their young.

:P

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions