What's new

Can anyone date this ax/hatchet?

mainer

Silver Member
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,405
Reaction score
38
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was wondering if anyone could date this ax or hatchet not sure what you would call it exactly. Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • ax 1.webp
    ax 1.webp
    54 KB · Views: 318
  • ax 2.webp
    ax 2.webp
    56.6 KB · Views: 320
Nice one! Trade axe and is early, probably in the range of mid. 1700s.
 
Upvote 0
It looks kinda like an early trade axe/hatchet . Nice find !
this pic is from my Eric Sloan book -
 

Attachments

  • army 024.webp
    army 024.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 290
Upvote 0
Wow never thought it would be that old. Thanks for the ID. Hey Patch anyway to get the rust off of it or would you just leave it like it is?
 
Upvote 0
mainer said:
Wow never thought it would be that old. Thanks for the ID. Hey Patch anyway to get the rust off of it or would you just leave it like it is?


Electrolysis, then seal it. If not it will keep getting eaten away.... I know all about that! This Winter I'm finally suppose to attack all my big iron.
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
mainer said:
Wow never thought it would be that old. Thanks for the ID. Hey Patch anyway to get the rust off of it or would you just leave it like it is?

This Winter I'm finally suppose to attack all my big iron.
Ha! I was telling myself the same thing - and I've managed maybe 3percent.
Definitely don't let it sit though the corrosion will just keep eating away.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom