What's new

Can anyone help with mask

jtw1313

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
3,728
Reaction score
2,099
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know where this mask would be from
 
Cool. Inevitably, you don’t get all of the stylistic traits for a particular tribe/culture on any one item, but the bulbous slit eyes, very triangular nose, circular protruding mouth, double-arched brow and linear geometric carvings are all traits you would expect to see on Luena (Lwena) masks. Here’s a couple of examples:

Luena-Mask 1.webp Luena-Mask 2.webp

That would mean it’s from Angola (heartland for the Luena), or possibly the Congo or Zambia, parts of which are also their territory.

From what I can see I would say it’s authentically made, but for market or collector sale and I would guess mid 1900s.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you red-coat for always helping
 
Upvote 0
Early pandemic mask from Africa popular during the corona era. :tongue3:
 
Upvote 0
I was just thinking I could put this to use lol
 
Upvote 0
Kudos to Red-Coat for his I.D. of your Luena (Lwena) mask jtw! :notworthy:

Funny, this was my first thought when I saw your mask. :laughing7:
Dave
 

Attachments

  • fifthelement133.webp
    fifthelement133.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Fifth-Element-Ship-2.webp
    Fifth-Element-Ship-2.webp
    141.6 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 0
Lol thanks guys
Good to laugh at these times
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom