Darren in NC
Silver Member
- Joined
- Apr 1, 2004
- Messages
- 2,905
- Reaction score
- 1,965
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Detector(s) used
- Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
- Primary Interest:
- Shipwrecks
- #1
Thread Owner
Darren in NC said:I was sent this photo in a generic email. I was curious if anyone recognized the plane and location. If you know the photographer, please let me know as all the photos in the email were uncredited. Cool pic!
Darren in NC said:Well said, Steve. I did a little more research and the Aichi E16A1 Allen and I posted above (codenamed "Paul") was a 2-seater. It replaced the more numerous Aichi E13A seaplane, codenamed "Jake." I dismissed the Aichi E13A earlier due to the rounded look her wings had. But after finding out she was a three-seater, I looked at her diagrams a little closer. Her front edge design wasn't as rounded as she first appeared. I removed the wingtips and ailerons from the diagram and she's pretty much a perfect match. After taking a closer look at the plane in the water, you can actually see where her front edge begins to curve on the ends. Of course, nothing is conclusive until a diver verifies her make and model. She was one of the most common three-seated seaplanes used by the Japanese.