What's new

Can anyone id this old coin?

Southie E.J.

Full Member
Joined
May 16, 2011
Messages
104
Reaction score
20
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Boston Ma
Detector(s) used
WHITES COINMASTER, MINELABS 705, and ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this coin a few months ago and cabt figure it out except that its chinese and could be ancient. Can anyine tell more? Like the year and what the wording is? Thamks!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20110825_175713.webp
    IMG_20110825_175713.webp
    117.5 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_20110825_175656.webp
    IMG_20110825_175656.webp
    125.1 KB · Views: 465
Pic resized
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20110825_175713-1.webp
    IMG_20110825_175713-1.webp
    9.7 KB · Views: 945
  • IMG_20110825_175656-1.webp
    IMG_20110825_175656-1.webp
    11 KB · Views: 967
Upvote 0
Im pretty sure its a Shuen Tung 1909-1911.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Im pretty sure its a Shuen Tung 1909-1911.

On the side of the coin that has the 4 charactors a chinese guy at work told me that 2 of the characters say THANH THIEU and the other 2 characters mean $. I hope that helps some?
 
Upvote 0
Any place that I could contact that might know?
 
Upvote 0
Southie E.J. said:
Any place that I could contact that might know?
I can tell you. What do you want to know?

Compare the 2 markings side with the link I posted will tell you the mint mark and city. First glance looks like Boo (left) Ciowon (right), Peking, Board of Revenue mint which is the most common.

chines cash coin peking mint.webpchines peking mint.webp

The 4 characters represent the dynasty, emperor and reign which translates into 1909-1911. Its in the Ching dynasty. If I get a chance I will look it up to tell you exactly what emperor and reign it represents. I am not sure of the translated spelling Shuen Tung or Chuen tung. Is that what you are looking for? Im not sure what the Chinese guy at work was trying to say but I think he was saying Shuen Tung.

chinese cash 1909-1911.webp chinese cash Southie.webp
 
Upvote 0
Im having a little problem finding another complete example of the 4 character side. The character on the right is Tung. chinese tung.webp

The chart I use is usually correct and it matches this coin with a 1909-1911. Thats the best I can do right now lol. :read2:
 
Upvote 0
I found it. I was correct. While I cannot translate all the characters for you, they represent the Chi'ng Dynasty and the emperor is Puye.

Shuan Tung, Chuen Tung, Hshuan Tung, take your pic.
 

Attachments

  • chinese emperor PUYE.webp
    chinese emperor PUYE.webp
    89 KB · Views: 384
Upvote 0
Thanks guys that is the coin. That was very helpfull. I thought maybe I had a real old one.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom