Can anyone possibly date anything?

Relic_hunter1557

Feb 15, 2007
Ok, so i found these in my backyard. One seems to be a hook the other is a long nail and the other thing in the middle is...?? I have no idea...... Does Anyone have an idea?

DSC01597.jpg

DSC01598.jpg

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
'fraid she's going to take a little cleaning up. Give her a good bath and post some front and back pictures as well as what the material is, any marks, letters, etc. That'll help.

Daryl

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Relic_hunter1557

Relic_hunter1557

Feb 15, 2007
It seems to be rusty and i've already given it a good scrubbing, you wouldn't think so though lol.. They are all magnetic.

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
There are several new products out there that spray on and will really take the rust away. If you are sure the object is not of great value, I'd buy some of the spray and a fine wire brush and have at it. I've used the rust removal product that looks like an ordinary spray bottle of 409 or similar and it took the rust off, right down to the bare metal. Should help you too.

Daryl

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Relic_hunter1557

Relic_hunter1557

Feb 15, 2007
I have no idea what it is or if it is of great value... Here are front and back pics..

DSC01601.jpg

this is the front

DSC01600.jpg

this is the back

Upvote 0

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I think it may be a another stirup of of a copper fair horse? Still too dirty to tell for sure. I would soak it in coke a cola, takes a few days if it's real rusty, usually cleans up nice.

Attachments

• HORSE2.jpg
    HORSE2.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 679
Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Sometimes when metal is exposed to really harsh conditions (marine for instance) concretions form around the metal. It is an electrical deposition because of the nature of the metal and the seawater. It looks like your object may have concretions around some of the metal. These will usually come off pretty easy after a soak in something like Coca-Cola or some other acidic solution. I usually try to knock them off with something plastic (screwdriver handle) or a piece of wood. That usually won't damage the metal but the rock-like material will break away. You can tell by using a small magnet to see if all of it is magnetic or if the lighter parts may be minerals and no magnetic or just barely so. I don't know why this would have happened or has happened in the ground in your backyard but who knows what conditions have been there in the past.

Daryl

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the hook and eye piece might be a early tie down type device hook goes on the ring on the bodyof the wagon -- the rope goes thru the eye and is drawn tight and tied with a knot --- kind of of a primative type cord rig for securing a load on a wagon --- Ivan

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A framing nail, a chain hook for a child's swing set (nylon bearing goes in the hole, chain hooks onto the hooked end), and a piece of treasure hunter iron junque. I find the later all the time! M ;) nty

Upvote 0

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't be afraid to clean it. If it had any value, it doesn't anymore.

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I misunderstood the question,"Can anyone date anything"? Yes you can date anything you please. Back when I divorced my ex-wife, I dated this old thing for a couple of months. It just didn't work out. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread