psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 - White's Spectra V3i - White's XLT - Minelab Excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a good one....Need your help???

??? ??? ??? This one has got me baffled rang up as a 50 cent piece on the XLT. It doesn't appear to have any writing or identifying marks other than the 6 oblong holes which are slanted. I has almost the same characteristic as the half (for comparison only) same diameter, same weight as the older liberty seated halves only two differences are that this is solid copper and is slightly thicker. ??? ??? ???

Any help is greatly appreciated and all comments are welcomed.

Psgen

Attachments

• copper thingy.jpg
    copper thingy.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 624

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Here a good one....Need your help???

Maybe a grinder plate for meat. Make hamburger.

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

Grinder plates usually have a key or slot to keep them from turning and a hole in the middle for the shaft. Never seen one with slanted holes either.

Daryl

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

BioProfessor said:
Grinder plates usually have a key or slot to keep them from turning and a hole in the middle for the shaft. Never seen one with slanted holes either.

Daryl

Or made from copper... wouldnt hold an edge so to speak.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
psgen

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nick:
I found in the vicinity of the old picnic grove I spoke of in my early post. On the opposite end of the area where the old dump was located.
Psgen

Upvote 0

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X

You certainly have a great whatsit there! No center hole, so it doesn't spin. The holes are on an angle almost as though its function is to guide or keep things separated, such as twisted wires. Just throwing out some different things here.

I hope we get some more input here! This kind of stuff is what makes the "What Is It" forum so cool!

..............HH

Upvote 0

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X

Angelo said:
6 Wire Twister Head?

Tony

Hey! Maybe you have something there! Some kind of head that is used to actually make twisted wire.

Angelo has the best idea yet! What does everyone else think?

Upvote 0

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Looks like a large water aerator that gave the flow a spiral effect.A little crude, possibly homemade?

kenb

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

MEinWV said:
Angelo said:
6 Wire Twister Head?

Tony

Hey! Maybe you have something there! Some kind of head that is used to actually make twisted wire.

Angelo has the best idea yet! What does everyone else think?

Wouldn't a copper head be too soft for twisting wire? Even if it were copper wire that was being twisted? Seems to me that running a lot of wire through those eyes would soon wear them down and damage the head.

Maybe it was used for making string or yarn instead? Same idea, but different and softer material being twisted.

Upvote 0

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer

could be a toy. They used to drill holes (sometimes in coins) and put a string thru it so they could whirl it around their head.

Upvote 0

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II

It could easily be a whizzer disk. You would run strings through the holes, wind it up with the disk in the center of the strings. As you pulled on the strings they would unwind spinning the disk making a whizzing sound. Old time toy for kids to play with, often homemade.

Upvote 0

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Maybe some type of "plying" disk for yarn?
I've seen fiber artists use similar looking "disks" to keep strands of fiber, yarn, string, etc. separated with equal tension until it is spun/twisted into a single larger strand. You mentioned you found this near a picnic grove. . . maybe this grove was a craft fair site at one time. None the less an interesting find.

watercolor

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

jeric2 said:
could be a toy. They used to drill holes (sometimes in coins) and put a string thru it so they could whirl it around their head.

Every one of those toys I ever saw or ever played with as a child had two holes, placed near the center of the disk, rather than 6 holes on the perimeter.

Here's a little info about those toys. http://mackinacparks.com/uploads/Games.pdf

Upvote 0

buckaroo

Apr 9, 2007
California Gold Country

This is a disk that is used in a wand for hand spraying. Before the modern spray equipment we used to spray our fruit trees by hand using hoses and spray wands. The disk is part of the nozzle. As you can see in the pictures there are two disks. The disk you found is the inside disk. The holes are angled to create a vortex. When the spray exits the outside disk the vortex causes the spray to exit in a cone shape.
disk2.jpg

disk1.jpg

Hope this helps.
Dave

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

I never sprayed any fruit trees, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Looks like a match buckaroo...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
psgen

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:D Thank You..... I think that we can close the book on this mystery. Buckaroos explanation makes perfect sense. As our town has almost as many apple orchards as it has houses. If you like McIntosh Apples we definitely have them here. Four or five huge orchards within a mile of my house.

Psgen

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread