Can i detect National Register of historic places?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to detect a old trading post that goes back to the 1700's. It's now a Nature Park and was classified as a National Register of historic places. I don't want to ask permission if I don't have to, because I don't want to be told no, but I have the legal right to.

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would bet that it isn't legal. It might cost you a stiff fine if you got caught. Make sure if it is legal before you start detecting.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would bet that it isn't legal. It might cost you a stiff fine if you got caught. Make sure if it is legal before you start detecting.

Please do some research before giving advice like this because its completely wrong. The NRHP is completely meaningless. It means that place is *SHOCKER* on a register of places!!! It is NOT a monument, it is NOT a park. Houses and buildings and parks in almost every city, town and berg in the US can be found on the NRHP. The property still belongs to it's owner who can do anything he wants to with it, including burning it to the ground if he/she/it felt the desire.

go ask for permission! There is no reason not too!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jason I Google Earth it and it does have a residential st in the park and plenty of woods. The reason why I don't like to ask, if legally allowed. is if they say NO it puts me in a weird situation. I'd almost rather them find me then ask them if it's in the rules. There's a public park I went to and they told me a can't detect, I said "Really that's strange I've been detecting here 10 years and no one ever told me anything. Can you bring me your rules and regulations?'' They never came back and I've been detecting there ever since without a problem. It felt good after that I must admit.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're not shy go ahead. I ask permission of a historic plantation house hare built in 1857 and raided by Bloody Bill Anderson on Oct. 10 1864.
Sadly the present owner whom granted me permission has a semi tractor truck/dump truck repair facility just outside the fence and has ruined the looks of the place with big trucks parked everywhere including 3 or 4 in the back yard. So yes as someone commented above the owner can do whatever they want.

I did find one general service button there dating to that period that I like to think I know who lost it and exactly when, lol.

Go for it man!!

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're not shy go ahead. I ask permission of a historic plantation house hare built in 1857 and raided by Bloody Bill Anderson on Oct. 10 1864.
Sadly the present owner whom granted me permission has a semi tractor truck/dump truck repair facility just outside the fence and has ruined the looks of the place with big trucks parked everywhere including 3 or 4 in the back yard. So yes as someone commented above the owner can do whatever they want.

I did find one general service button there dating to that period that I like to think I know who lost it and exactly when, lol.

Go for it man!!

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

acmo nice find bet it was a iron paradise. I found a WWII USMC button a a dog tag with the guy's name on it. It was interesting looking him up. I read his obituary. And no not shy when it comes to my rights. Now I have been caught on private property unknowingly in my "green" period of detecting and I was so humbly apologetic that they told me I can stay. One was the Sheriff of a neighboring Parish he gave me his phone number and everything. Only had one old salty man who didn't seem to care what I had to say, he said, "Get of my property" one time and never uttered another word, but I can respect that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Jason, NRHP amounts to a site has either architectural or archaeological importance or connections to a historical person or event .Anyone can nominate one for such and can purchase a marker if it qualifies,even your own home, if it is historically signifigant. I am working with an archaeologist to get a few sites I know of to qualify but it is not easy. I have seen at least two Historical markers from NRHP sites bulldozed in the last few years. They mean different things to different people. It really is all about getting a place recognized in the States master file so it does not get forgotten....even though developers will and can bulldoze the fancy signage in the name of progress.Don't confuse the NRHP with the National Park Service....way different, but get permission first.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find out through tax records who owns the property. If it's a private owner, get permission. If it's owned by some government entity, look up the rules that apply to it and abide by them.

UNC_

Mar 21, 2009
central mo
Detector(s) used
whites prizm V, ace 250
to ask is the best way to find out ....the worst they are gonna tell u is no anyway

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please do some research before giving advice like this because its completely wrong. The NRHP is completely meaningless. It means that place is *SHOCKER* on a register of places!!! It is NOT a monument, it is NOT a park. Houses and buildings and parks in almost every city, town and berg in the US can be found on the NRHP. The property still belongs to it's owner who can do anything he wants to with it, including burning it to the ground if he/she/it felt the desire.

go ask for permission! There is no reason not too!

I believe the exception is if Federal Money's are used for the Upkeep.
then there are extra Rules involved

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I detect in a Village commons with those NHRP plaques all over the place. I didn't have to ask permission, the Mayors office pointed me to it.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All "public land" NRHA sites are overseen by the National Park Service...they are also part of the National Historical Preservation Act of 1966.

A local cop or sheriff will probably have no clue about that. However - the off chance that an NPS truck comes rolling around - you may be in for a bit of a chat.

Here in my neck of the woods in Colorado...it is a strict no. They have it in writing (legislation) that I would need a permit - which is at the discretion of the head of the local office. When I went in for said permit - I was denied quickly.

That being said (like mentioned above)...private property is also on the NRHA list. The owner trumps the NPS at that point - no permit needed - just permission from the property owner.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on, the "dude" always knows the rules !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread