What's new

Can some one tell me what is V P T and is it???

JUNKYARD DOG

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 29, 2008
Messages
754
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
Hey gun guys can some one tell me what is V P T and is this a military round? What about a date? It is a 44 cal. Thanks JYD
 

Attachments

  • 004.webp
    004.webp
    43.3 KB · Views: 649
  • 005.webp
    005.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 774
Upvote 0
Sincethe headstamp is from Finland I would guess it is a 7.62X54 Russian. The Russian round was used by the Finns who captured and rebuilt Russian military bolt action rifles. I have two such rifles in my collection that were remanufactured by Saco of Finland. The ballistics or the 7.62 Russian cartridge is very similar to our modern day 7.62 NATO cartridge that is still used by our military primarily in the M60 machine gun. The Russian cartridge however is a rimmed case and doesn't feed well in an automatic weapon. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty's got it right. :thumbsup: The 7.62x54 is a pretty distinct case. Especially the head.

JunkYard Dog, Where did you measure it to come up with .44 caliber? The inside of the case mouth should measure in the neighborhood of .311-.312.
 
Upvote 0
just-geese said:
I believe he was basing it off the 44 stamped on the head,1944

Makes sense. I guess I never thought of that angle.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom