What's new

Can someone help me ID this 1962 dime?

Texasguy24

Greenie
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
KINGWOOD, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Minelab GPX-4500, Minelab Excalibur II, Vipir
I can someone tell me if this is a silver dime or a clad dime, because it does not have the copper around the edges and is a very dark grey in color. I read that clad dimes didn't start until 1964, when this dime reads 1962. These were the best photos i could get.
Thanks everyone!
Kevin
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5002.webp
    IMG_5002.webp
    28.9 KB · Views: 948
  • IMG_5001.webp
    IMG_5001.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 946
  • IMG_4990.webp
    IMG_4990.webp
    8.6 KB · Views: 933
  • IMG_4992.webp
    IMG_4992.webp
    19.4 KB · Views: 967
Upvote 0
Yeah it is silver.

It is just heavily tarnished. Anything 64 or earlier is 90% silver except for nickles. 1965 was the start of clad.

HH Jer
 
Hey dude, roosies were silver from 46-64, if yours is a 62 it's 90% silver!
 
set your camera on macro and the pictures will be much better. Macro is used for close ups and are very clear. Like the others stated if the dime is dated 1962 then it is silver and if it is dated 1965 or later then it will have copper in it. You will be able to see the copper on the edge. Also the mint mark on a pre 64 dime is on the back. After 65 are on the front near the date.
 
DrDetector said:
Looks more like 1982-P
Damn, you must have 6 million dollar man eyes...lol there is no way I could even tell what any of the date was from those pics...
 
Even if it is silver, it's not all that valuable (like a seated time), so you can try to clean it up more without worrying about damaging it. Use a little of the white type of toothpaste on your fingers and polish it up real good. If it's silver it will clean up real good. If clad, it will be clean but will not shine up like silver.
 
creeper71 said:
DrDetector said:
Looks more like 1982-P
Damn, you must have 6 million dollar man eyes...lol there is no way I could even tell what any of the date was from those pics...

I thank you sir. Seems you can see the mint mark on the obverse plus the reverse design matches the 1982-era dies as opposed to the 1962 dies. I mean I could be wrong but I'd be willing to bet it's a 1982. Maybe not bet 6 mil though... :laughing7:
 
Kevin, I'm pretty sure it's a clad 1982 dime. The dimes in our area that have a rust color corrosion are usually clad. Most of the silver dimes ( pre 1964) have either no corrosion, or a slight black tarnish.

Wayne
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom