What's new

Can Someone ID This Button?

DiggerLee

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2009
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Marion, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1235-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This button was dug and is in better condition than the picture quality reflects. It has the number 44 above crossed rifles and the letter F on the bottom. Thanks.

 

Attachments

  • IMG00014.webp
    IMG00014.webp
    10.7 KB · Views: 339
44th Infantry perhaps? I have a feeling this is gonna be a jewel.
Can we see a better pic and maybe the back while you're at it?
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yep, WWI collar stud, and I found it's cousin. Nice find, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • WWIButton.webp
    WWIButton.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 285
  • WWIButton.webp
    WWIButton.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 282
Upvote 0
Thanks for the ID on the collar stud...it does have a stud-like fastener on the back. Does anyone know the significance of the 44 and the F on it? You guys are great...thanks.
 
Upvote 0
I am going to get some pictures of the back and put them on here...it is not exactly a pin on the back. HH Lee
 
Upvote 0
DiggerLee said:
I am going to get some pictures of the back and put them on here...it is not exactly a pin on the back. HH Lee
Use the flower icon macro setting macro.webp on your camera if it has one.
 

Attachments

  • macro.webp
    macro.webp
    342 bytes · Views: 214
Upvote 0
I have one just like yours,except mine still has the fastener attached on back.
Was told it was a 44th Mississippi hat or collar stud.. :dontknow:
Mine was found in the Delta Area of Miss.
 
Upvote 0
dirt diva said:
I have one just like yours,except mine still has the fastener attached on back.
Was told it was a 44th Mississippi hat or collar stud.. :dontknow:
Mine was found in the Delta Area of Miss.
can u post a pic?
 
Upvote 0
Picture of the back.

 

Attachments

  • Button (back)2.webp
    Button (back)2.webp
    5.8 KB · Views: 191
Upvote 0
Better picture of the front.

 

Attachments

  • Button Front2.webp
    Button Front2.webp
    13.3 KB · Views: 189
Upvote 0
Im almost positive this is a nice WWI era 44th Infantry collar disc with a screw back.. I seriously doubt that it is from the CW.. I dont know what the F is for, probably Company F. The 44th might have been a National Guard Unit.


Section V of the National Defense Act prescribed a committee to devise plans for organizing the National Guard divisions. Formed in August 1920, this group consisted of Regular Army and Guard officers who represented their embryonic corps areas. Within a short time the committee presented the states with a blueprint for eighteen infantry divisions. Corps area commanders were to resolve any divergent views or disputes among the states over the allotment of the units. The plan offered the states the 26th through the 41st Divisions, organized during World War I, and three new units, the 43d, 44th, and 45th Divisions, as Guard units.
http://tinyurl.com/yewcqzc
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
dirt diva said:
I have one just like yours,except mine still has the fastener attached on back.
Was told it was a 44th Mississippi hat or collar stud.. :dontknow:
Mine was found in the Delta Area of Miss.
can u post a pic?
Can't find it right now,we moved not to long ago and all my MDing
stuff is still packed up.But I did find another picture of one similar that I
had sent to Ask Mark Parker for id. US Army,Infantry,2nd Regiment,Company F ,WW I.
Also found this one in Belzoni,Miss.
Was invited to the Primos Hunting Calls property there,The property has several
Indian Mounds,found lots of arrowheads and this was just laying on the edge of a field :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Yep
WWI US army collar disc. Co. F 2nd infantry regiment
 
Upvote 0
It looks like from everyone's input it is a WWI Collar Stud/Disk, 44th Infantry Regiment, F Company.

It was found at an old one room school house site. A 1938 aerial photo of the site showed the building still standing.

A kid probably got it from his dad who served in WWI and lost it while playing at school.

Thanks for your help everyone. Now to find out its value...

HH

Lee
 
Upvote 0
DiggerLee said:
It looks like from everyone's input it is a WWI Collar Stud/Disk, 44th Infantry Regiment, F Company.

It was found at an old one room school house site. A 1938 aerial photo of the site showed the building still standing.

A kid probably got it from his dad who served in WWI and lost it while playing at school.

Thanks for your help everyone. Now to find out its value...

HH

Lee

Maybe this will help with value.
 
Upvote 0
It depends upon the rarity. This 372nd black division is asking $200.
 

Attachments

  • collar disc wwi 372 infantry.webp
    collar disc wwi 372 infantry.webp
    1.7 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom