Can the Omega 8000 keep up with the Etrac?

Jul 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
After borrowing a Garrett Ace for a few weeks, and having some success, but not consistently, ive decided to invest in a more expensive higher end detector. Ive been looking at posts from treasurenet members and watching metal detectorists on Youtube and have been tied between two detectors, the Omega and the Etrac. If i had my first choice and money wasnt an issue, I would choose the Etrac. I have heard nothing but good things about it, and its depth seems unsurpassed. Unfortuanately, 1500 bucks seems a little steep and I dont want to be dissapointed after shelling out that much. Thats where the Omega comes in. I have read by some that it can hold its own against the Etrac, and for 800 dollars less, that sounds a little more reasonable. Now I need your help, is it worth it to just get the Etrac and drop the coin, or is the Omega a reliable detector that can keep up with the Etrac and save some money too? Owners of the Etrac and Omega please, please comment.

Thanks, WTH

John Tanner

Sep 30, 2010
I have never used an Etrac but have used the Explorers and Quatro. The weight alone is enough for me to never use one again-I split and stack wood in the winter and used to be a landscaper-6 feet and 240 lbs so am not weak and consider myself pretty tough.

I have permanant elbow, wrist and shoulder damage from swinging those detectors for many years. I would never recomend one to anyone based on how heavy and awkward they are. Minelab should be ashamed of themselves for still having the worst weight and erganomics in the industry over the past 15 years on this series of detectors. I found lots of silver but nerve damage in my elbow was not worth it.

JT

shwebb

Greenie
Mar 20, 2008
Eufaula, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
E-Trac- Spectra- V3i MXT
The only thing I can say, is my silver finds have gone way up since buying the E-trac about 1 yr ago. I do however use the Swingy Thing when I hunt with it.
Steve

OP
OP
westerntreasurehunter
Jul 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Jon, thank you for your comment and i am sorry to hear about your elbow damage. You would think that with the reputation and poularity minelab has, they would be considerate enough to fix the problems they do have. i hope for the etrac they've made it more comfortable. And i think that most Etrac users have seen an increase in their silver... which makes this such a hard decision ???

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a very long time user of the ET. The one most common mistake most make when comparing detectors is depth. While having good depth is good. Having a great target scale and ID capability is better. I too use Docs swing thing for all my hunting.

OP
OP
westerntreasurehunter
Jul 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Yeah, if i get an Etrac i will definately need to get one of those too. Looks like a great tool. Well, i wont be doing anything until after the winter anyway, so i will keep saving and hopefully get an Etrac.

Bill_S

Sep 29, 2010
I own both of the detectors you mention. Personally I would buy the omega and an 11" DD coil. In my opinion the E-trac is not worth $800 dollars more than the Omega. The omega is probably one of the most overlooked metal detectors right now. It will go just about as deep as the E-trac in my soil. The TID on the Omega is good also. You can swing the Omega a LOT faster than the E-trac and it is lighter too. It has a 5 year warranty while the E-Trac only has 3 years. The Omega will hit on bottlecaps like quarters and the E-Trac doesn't but the bottle caps are easy to ID once you figure it out. The E-Trac is a good detector but I would save your money and go with the omega and some accessories.

OP
OP
westerntreasurehunter
Jul 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Thanks so much bill, that sounds good from someone who has both. THat is really helpful and will probably influence my decision. Thanks so much to everyone who commented! youve helped me out a lot! :thumbsup:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an explorer SE which is argueably very similar to E-track. I also have an Omega.

The FBS minelabs have definite advantages in certain situations, in particular hunting on a salt beach where they simply can not be beat, so if you frequently hunt these type of places it could be your choice, their down side is as mentioned the weight.

The Omega I love and use it 99% of the time, it is the most comfortable detector I have ever swung. Performance and pinpointing is great. It is also the easiest machine to manually GB to date.

PS, Because a person finds more silver in a particular year with detector X doesn't necessarily mean that detecor is better at finding silver, just that you got the coil over more silver. I found substancially more silver this year with the Omega than the previous couple of years, But quite sure it was more about where I swung than what I swung.

Buying a new detector is always tough making up one's mind, there are too many models. just my opinion.

Rick

OP
OP
westerntreasurehunter
Jul 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Thanks to everybody that helped me out! ive had a lot of great advice and ive decided to get an Omega with the DD coil, and probably a Garret Propointer too. Is kellyco the best place to get them?

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Bill_S said:
In my opinion the E-trac is not worth $800 dollars more than the Omega. The omega is probably one of the most overlooked metal detectors right now. It will go just about as deep as the E-trac in my soil.

As will many other detectors ... "just about" is a very vague term.

A Kia is "just about" as good as a Cadillac.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
No ... it can not!

It is a totally different detector and will not perform like an E-Trac ... ever!

Buy what you want (I would rather you get the Omega) and if you feel it is as good as something else ... cool beans.
It is your money.

Bill_S

Sep 29, 2010
How long have you used the Omega willee? I own both detectors and have done side by side comparisons on the same target. Ok, "just about" is within an inch of the E-trac. I would say the E-trac is better and runs smoother and will work better in highly mineralized soil. But most of the places I hunt are not that way. He asked if it was worth the extra money. If money is no object then get the E-trac, if your like most of us and it is a factor then get the Omega. My decision would also depend on how serious your are and what you plan to use it for. So like I said before to me its not worth the extra $$$$$.

OP
OP
westerntreasurehunter
Jul 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
I know the Etrac is better, but not neccessarily 800$ better. I will probably get an Omega for a few years, and then depending on how it goes by then something else will probably come up and i will upgrade.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Bill_S said:
How long have you used the Omega willee? I own both detectors and have done side by side comparisons on the same target. Ok, "just about" is within an inch of the E-trac. I would say the E-trac is better and runs smoother and will work better in highly mineralized soil. But most of the places I hunt are not that way. He asked if it was worth the extra money. If money is no object then get the E-trac, if your like most of us and it is a factor then get the Omega. My decision would also depend on how serious your are and what you plan to use it for. So like I said before to me its not worth the extra $$$$$.

Money .... are we seriously talking about saving money on the cost of a machine that finds money? ... ;D ...

A detector will pay for itself over time. (if you use it) All us experienced users know that.
Many people have paid for their detector with just one or two find's at the beach.
Detectors really dont cost money ... they find it ... and pay for themselves.

Sure ... a new E-Trac is expensive ... no doubt about it ... and someone might want not want to spend that much money for their first detector.
But after a person has had a detector for a while, used it and knows what it can find, they should look at the few hundred dollars difference in price a lot differently than just what it will cost.
Anyone with the resources to consider a $1000 detector should not be thinking of it as an expense but rather as an investment that has a tangible return.

Then of course there is the used market where you can buy a top of the line detector, use it for a year, and sell it for what you paid for it.
(if you have taken care of it)
How much money did that cost to test drive the best for one year?
Plus you get to keep everything you found with it ... is this a great hobby or what ... :hello2: ...

Other hobbies like Golf, Fishing, Hunting, all COST money.
Metal detecting really does not ... after the initial investment it puts money back into your pocket ... it is a very unique hobby in that respect.

So I say ... if you want that top of the line detector go for it and then get out there and make it pay for itself.
Or ... buy both of them used and after you have tried them for a while both, sell the one you like the least.
(this is what accounts for a lot of nice detectors listed for sale)
Either way ... you cant lose money unles toy really try hard.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
westerntreasurehunter said:
I know the Etrac is better, but not neccessarily 800$ better. I will probably get an Omega for a few years, and then depending on how it goes by then something else will probably come up and i will upgrade.

I understand.
The Omega is a decent detector and I am sure you will find some good things with it.
If you ever get down to South Texas give me a call and we can go beach hunting.

Willee
361-563-1303

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
westerntreasurehunter said:
I know the Etrac is better,..... you just know what some people think .............. what they think and what you think is 2 different things............ i use minelabs but i will not put out that much mony for a coin detector ........... but not neccessarily 800$ better. I will probably get an Omega for a few years, and then depending on how it goes by then something else will probably come up and i will upgrade.
You don't know the E Trak is better The multi Frequency detectors are good on the salt water beaches.. But to pay $800.00 extra to find dimes inland is just plain crazy to me.......... To me you will find just as much inland with the Omega as you will with the E Trak..I think yo got good advice but i think that ..... Bill S and John Tanner gave you the better advice for inland hunting......

Attachments

• !!d59UFwBmM~$(KGrHqQH-CIEsJ)wlqBrBLF+5ET(f!~~_26.jpg
    !!d59UFwBmM~$(KGrHqQH-CIEsJ)wlqBrBLF+5ET(f!~~_26.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 1,983
  • !!d59UFwBmM~$(KGrHqQH-CIEsJ)wlqBrBLF+5ET(f!~~_26.jpg
    !!d59UFwBmM~$(KGrHqQH-CIEsJ)wlqBrBLF+5ET(f!~~_26.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 1,979

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other things to consider in my opinion, besides depth or discr ability are the ability to cancel EMI and the ability to perform in highly mineralized soil (the ground in Oregon is very mineralized). Will certain metal detectors that shine, for instance, in FL flop here in Oregon because they can't fully compensate for minerals? Some detectors render it impossible to hunt with your buddies because of interference. Does the Etrac or Omega handle mineralization better? Which will better elude EMI? These questions are important because certain sites become unworkable even with a deep detector that discriminates well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions