Can we have a good in depth talk about frequency?

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me state first off that I'm coming at this from a relic hunter view point first. Has anybody ever relic hunted on this forum with 28 kh ,54 kh, or 74kh? I know those are gold freqs. About six months ago I guess Deus released the hf coils. I was told they wouldn't help us in the relic game because they ran such high freqs. So I ran mine in 14 kh and left 28kh and 54 kh alone. TNSHARPSHOOTER and others over on another forum kept telling me you need to run the higher freqs back over you iron loaded sites. Well I finally did. It didn't take long to realize after pulling 20 to 25 non ferrous targets from a small area loaded with iron that we pounded with 7kh and 14 kh that something was going on. Some will say your only going to dig small targets with those freqs. that's not entirely true you also dig buttons. giant dandy buttons all the way to cuffs that were masked and the 14 kh couldn't see them. Out of the 20 to 25 targets I dug above 3 or 4 were buttons including a script a war of 1812 button. I have been using this technique for months now and it works . Its a NEW way to relic hunt and it works . I have tested targets and 14 kh might see or 54 kh might see it but one or the other wont see it. Some low conductive buttons hiding in the iron can be ran with over with the deus in 14 kh and will not even peep on it. Switch it to 54 kh and it smacks it. Or vice versa 54 kh might not see it but 14 kh smacks it. How many of you guys have ever tried this?? How many of you guys have even ever heard of this? It works and I know quite a few people who are doing this and making banner finds on other forums doing so. You can take a beat up iron loaded civil war site and go back over it in a higher freq and find targets others detectors just couldn't see in 14kh, 15kh, 17 kh etc.. So now that you know where I'm coming from. This is why the Nox is such a big deal for us. We are now able to hunt with a machine that can run those different freqs at one time and unlock targets that a single freq just cant unlock. I'm not going to say your going to load a 5 gallon bucket up every time using this technique but you will pull a few relics from a beat up site that quit producing long ago doing this. I found a piece of colonial gold in iron in 54 kh doing this on a colonial site that's hard to dig a bb off of. It was only 2 inchs deep. Why had no one found it? It was laying in a spot with dig holes all around. Go check out the video of the deus and nox where I put that gold piece in iron.. Deus cant see it in 14kh , nor can the F75 or the AT GOLD. Deus will hit in 54 kh .... That's where I'm coming from guys...

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, this is interesting as are all of your informative posts. I can't go any higher than 20 kHz in frequency but, haven't used that very much at all. Perhaps I'll give the Impact a go at the higher 20 kHz setting and see if I manage a few finds from the sights I have pounded hard. Can't hurt to experiment with your equipment to see what it's capable of. This is why I love your presence here and on the YT mate. Always going into a variety of settings to see just what your machines can do. Thanks for sharing your findings with the rest of us.:icon_salut:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting post. Informative too. When I got the HF coil, the 9" elliptical for the Deus, the whole relic hunting scene changed. Multi frequency would be iffy in four of my best sites which are Civil War. Here's why: The sites have been pounded to death since the late 1950's with the old BFO machines. Then whatever came after that then whatever came, PI machines, after that ad nauseum. Now you can take (place name of detector here) and get no reading but iron. There is still hundred of POUNDS of iron in these small half acre each campsites. Every known frequency and type of machine has been here over time.

When I got the Deus I goofed around with it at the 28 khz setting. Before the Deus i used a Tesoro Cibola and did very well with it. I did get a few things at 28k, but not that many more. Some months ago I decided to try the 74 khz frequency. Since then I have pulled a lot of bullets, buttons, a kepi hat letter, a batch of tiny percussion caps, scraps of brass, Flying Eagle cents, etc. from these same tiny parcels of land, where every machine known to God and man has been. With every frequency out there. The land size is so small you can grid the whole place in a just a few days.

So practically speaking, all known frequency and type machines have pounded this spot since the late 1950's. With that being said, a machine producing all the frequencies at one time isn't going to help much for the one and only specific reason all the frequencies individually have gridded the place.

The Deus on the 74khz setting is a killer and it goes very deep. I got an Equinox and it hurt my shoulder to swing it, so I had to part with it. Even talked to a couple real "experts" to see if the upper shaft could be modified into an "S" and they said no. Was disappointed, mainly in myself.

Getting older isn't for sissies.

Now scenario #2: Untouched site> Calabash, I think you get onto these also. The Equinox would do good there with a multifrequency, it would save a lot of time not having to go back and forth between frequencies. I think a lot of success if going to come down to the site and the user. If it's not there to begin with, it won't get conjured out of the ground. The 40khz max frequency on the Equinox may be limiting. Some targets still won't respond to that.

It's a wait and see thing. Higher frequencies may be the mode of the future. Until 3 years from now when the really new machines come out with visual target identification, but those machines won't be cheap. Wonder who will put one out first?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Smokeythecat and calabash digger bring up some very interesting points to ponder. :icon_thumleft:

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting post. Informative too. When I got the HF coil, the 9" elliptical for the Deus, the whole relic hunting scene changed. Multi frequency would be iffy in four of my best sites which are Civil War. Here's why: The sites have been pounded to death since the late 1950's with the old BFO machines. Then whatever came after that then whatever came, PI machines, after that ad nauseum. Now you can take (place name of detector here) and get no reading but iron. There is still hundred of POUNDS of iron in these small half acre each campsites. Every known frequency and type of machine has been here over time.

When I got the Deus I goofed around with it at the 28 khz setting. Before the Deus i used a Tesoro Cibola and did very well with it. I did get a few things at 28k, but not that many more. Some months ago I decided to try the 74 khz frequency. Since then I have pulled a lot of bullets, buttons, a kepi hat letter, a batch of tiny percussion caps, scraps of brass, Flying Eagle cents, etc. from these same tiny parcels of land, where every machine known to God and man has been. With every frequency out there. The land size is so small you can grid the whole place in a just a few days.

So practically speaking, all known frequency and type machines have pounded this spot since the late 1950's. With that being said, a machine producing all the frequencies at one time isn't going to help much for the one and only specific reason all the frequencies individually have gridded the place.

The Deus on the 74khz setting is a killer and it goes very deep. I got an Equinox and it hurt my shoulder to swing it, so I had to part with it. Even talked to a couple real "experts" to see if the upper shaft could be modified into an "S" and they said no. Was disappointed, mainly in myself.

Getting older isn't for sissies.

Now scenario #2: Untouched site> Calabash, I think you get onto these also. The Equinox would do good there with a multifrequency, it would save a lot of time not having to go back and forth between frequencies. I think a lot of success if going to come down to the site and the user. If it's not there to begin with, it won't get conjured out of the ground. The 40khz max frequency on the Equinox may be limiting. Some targets still won't respond to that.

It's a wait and see thing. Higher frequencies may be the mode of the future. Until 3 years from now when the really new machines come out with visual target identification, but those machines won't be cheap. Wonder who will put one out first?

Oh man! I was waiting for your in depth review of the Equinox! Oh well....that's the way it goes sometimes!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you can't win all the time. I can't at any rate. After yesterdays grueling hunt (1100 miles in three days) today was happy nap time all day.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, you can't win all the time. I can't at any rate. After yesterdays grueling hunt (1100 miles in three days) today was happy nap time all day.

Chalk it up to "Gone with the Whim". :laughing7:

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As usual, your videos and posts are very educational. Thanks for posting.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phishfinder, you nailed it. I did good today with my ancient single frequency machine.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey I dont know but from test so far the Nox has hit everything the Deus has hit in 54 kh. I need to get my elliptical coil back and try it out. That multi freq is doing some great things....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My main issue was the ergonomics. Now if a warranty was no consideration to me. I wonder outloud...methinks....take a sawzall and a screwdriver to the blasted machine. Take the control unit totally off. Toss everything from the battery up to the armrest in the trash and buy some spare parts from another manufacturer and remount the control unit with an s handle, and shorten up the lower shaft to balance. What do you think? Science project?

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My main issue was the ergonomics. Now if a warranty was no consideration to me. I wonder outloud...methinks....take a sawzall and a screwdriver to the blasted machine. Take the control unit totally off. Toss everything from the battery up to the armrest in the trash and buy some spare parts from another manufacturer and remount the control unit with an s handle, and shorten up the lower shaft to balance. What do you think? Science project?

All I can think of is Dr. Frankenstein declaring “It’s alive!!” :laughing7:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that'd work. Maybe by Christmas. Our "woods" and "fields" season is coming to a screeching halt here. They will start to plant in less than 3 weeks. My one farmer planted very early last year. The BEST farm, of course.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread