swastika plate.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 703

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Possibly a good luck piece attached to the house at one time ???
PBK will be along shortly with the answer i am sure ! ;D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mike in Ky

Mike in Ky

Greenie
Mar 16, 2006
Other side of plate

Here is the other side of the plate with the solder marks on the back.

Mike

Attachments

• Trenton finds (Small).jpg
    Trenton finds (Small).jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 750
Upvote 0

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I would GUESS that it's some kind of war trophy brought back by a WW2 veteran. I just found a nazi lufftwaffe badge in a veteran's yard here in wisconsin. His kid said that his dad had tons of the stuff and when he was a kid him and his brothers would play with some of it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mike in Ky

Mike in Ky

Greenie
Mar 16, 2006
Cannonman17 said:
I would GUESS that it's some kind of war trophy brought back by a WW2 veteran. I just found a nazi lufftwaffe badge in a veteran's yard here in wisconsin. His kid said that his dad had tons of the stuff and when he was a kid him and his brothers would play with some of it.

This isn't the same type of swastika that the Nazi's used.

Mike

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Welcome to TreasureNet Mike! :) How do you find this to be different from the swastika type the Germans used? My guess is that it could be from that era. (I only slightly modified this post after I opened my eyes and noticed its small size). :P

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The size makes me think it was part of a compact or cig. case. Without any marks or idea of use it could be before or during the nazi period. Its almost a 50-50 toss up. I am going to lean in the direction or prior to 1932.
DG

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
It almost appears as though there is some solder type stuff on the front as well (hard to tell from the photo)... is it possible that it was wrapped around something and soldered in a loop? Mike were these found in Kentucky? Also, I can't read the date on the Alabama State fair token... I was wondering if any connection could be made between the items. (just a stretch). Maybe this was attached to some of the parts we brought over with Werhner von Braun (former Nazi rocket scientist whom NASA hired and worked in Alabama for a time) Ok, that might be too much of a stretch. :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mike in Ky

Mike in Ky

Greenie
Mar 16, 2006
The solder is only on the back side of the plate. The Birmingham Alabama State Fair horse shoe medal is dated 1905. I also got a 1898 Barber dime from there, older coins as well. This town that I found it in was established in 1817.

Mike

Upvote 0

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Do you sell your tokens or keep them? I've tried for years to find coal company scrip but only found some unlisted lumber scrip so far. Nice finds.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mike in Ky

Mike in Ky

Greenie
Mar 16, 2006
I've only found 1 coal co. token. It was from the Dawson Daylight Coal co. in Dawson Springs, Ky. It had a D stamped thru it after it was used. That's the only coal co. token I've found. The token in the picture says at C A Talley & Co. good for 25 cents in trade.

Mike

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mike in Ky

Mike in Ky

Greenie
Mar 16, 2006
daytondigger said:
Do you sell your tokens or keep them? I've tried for years to find coal company scrip but only found some unlisted lumber scrip so far. Nice finds.

I don't have many tokens and never thought about even trying to sell one.

Mike

Upvote 0

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, it may very well be Nazi. I believe the good luck cross goes counter clockwise while the Nazi cross goes clockwise. If you look down the list of posts someone has posted a good luck token with the cross. That's not to say that the one who made this plate didn't get confused and make it going the wrong way.

CAP

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking around for something Nazi-related that fits the dimensions of this plate and come back empty handed. My guess is that it dates to the turn of the century and in this case simply signified "good luck," the original connotation of the swastika. The "history of the swastika" website has some good details. Either way, keep it in your junk box for future re-evaluation. Back when I started detecting, I started what I have termed "the greater junk box" and "the lesser junk box." (These names have now come to signify several boxes each!) Back then I didn't know what most of the stuff I recovered was, but since then I have realized that I had several good finds rolling around in the junk boxes. These have included valuable tokens, an early Red Cross lapel pin, and a Civil War knapsack hook. Ya never know. In some cases ya never will, but there's always a chance. From personal experience, you should keep a record of where you found it and what you found it with for future reference. I didn't find the Civil War relic mentioned above at a Civil War site, but I can't remember where I found it. (Frustrating!) Best of luck.

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mike in Ky

Mike in Ky

Greenie
Mar 16, 2006
I'm definitely going to hang on to it. It is kind of unique. I bet I'll never find another one. Like I said I guess we'll never know for sure.

Mike

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread