Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I try to record what I can about finds that are/look interesting. I don't bother recording the junk anymore--I just pull it out and dump it in the recycle bin on the way home.

This one stumped me. I guess I'd call it "interesting junk" and leave it up to my better half whether to keep it or not.
What am I saying? I KNOW what she's going to say...! 🤣

2½" diameter, ½" deep rim, non-magnetic, may be tin or zinc--IDK. Rang up in the high 80s.

1716401017695.jpeg

1716401057736.jpeg

Looks like an aluminum lid to me. I just found one similar that says Lyon's on the top. Turns out it's from a Dr. Lyon's tooth power can. About 100 years old give or take a bit.

Upvote 0
Looks like an aluminum lid to me. I just found one similar that says Lyon's on the top. Turns out it's from a Dr. Lyon's tooth power can. About 100 years old give or take a bit.
THX. Unfortunately, there are no markings or writing on it. The center is slightly domed.

Upvote 0
So is mine.....slightly. Your's may have had something on it, but, got squashed. Here's mine that might look like your too if it got flattened. Similar anyway....sure did sing out loud!

Attachments

• 20240522_113809.jpg
    20240522_113809.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240522_113821.jpg
    20240522_113821.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Upvote 0
Never seen a radiator cap made of aluminum.

Upvote 0
Might be a hubcap from a kids wagon.
Kids wagons have hubcaps? Hold da phone...

OK, just went out to the garage; I still have my wagon from 65 years ago... Yup, it's got hubcaps, but they're steel and much more substantial.

Like said maybe a hubcap/axle cover of a toy or part of an old battery.
Part of a toy was one of the first things I thought of, but something to do with a battery or lantern...

I just scraped some more crud off of it, and there appears to be something like a rosette design around the dome. I also found there's a pin hole in the very center. Now I'm thinking along the lines of gas cap, except the rim isn't threaded.

Perhaps early gas/kerosene cans didn't have screw-on tops? Anything else have a vent like that?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back