What's new

Canadian coins

snake35

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2005
Messages
918
Reaction score
24
Golden Thread
0
Location
West Virginia
Since The dollar has fallen against the foreign currency, I have started throwing all my Canadian coins into a bucket. It's a cheap way to speculate against the U.S. Dollar.
 
Upvote 0
Me too. Makes me wish I started years ago...
 
Yes, I too keep all of my Canadian Coinage.

HH
 
I have been keeping all my Canadian change for as long as I can remember. For awhile I was considering it a money losing adventure..at least for now I am about even.
 
The dollar hit a two and a half year low against the yen this morning. Not good news for the U.S.
 
They may have to revalue the dollar if things keep going the way they do. Kind of like they do in most countries when the economy collapses. All great empires fall, Rome did, This one is only 200 years old and going down faster than some girls I know.
 
I guess I have the best of both worlds. I am Canadian living in the USA. So when I go home, I don't have to buy nearly as much Canadian $$$.
 
Forgive me for I am ignorant in many areas. Is there a place at international airports where you can exchange foreign currency for U.S.? I have a ton of foreign coins that turned in could net me more cash to hunt with. I've always wondered about this.

HH
Gilbert
 
enamel7 said:
Forgive me for I am ignorant in many areas. Is there a place at international airports where you can exchange foreign currency for U.S.? I have a ton of foreign coins that turned in could net me more cash to hunt with. I've always wondered about this.

HH
Gilbert

The casino where I work will exchange bills, but not coins. I've heard this is the general rule with most currency exchange businesses. I'd love to know of a biz that does coins too.
 
snake35 said:
The dollar hit a two and a half year low against the yen this morning. Not good news for the U.S.
Tell me about it, I used to get about 116 on average, even once up to 119. Now, 105 is about the best I can do. Should get better now.
 
if i kept all the canadian coins i found, id have no money to hunt with

HH
-GC
 
Sadly, no place seems to exchange foreign coins for US cash. Most Canadian I throw back into hand rolls, that's what the tellers do or so they told me - plus they gave it to me so I don't feel guilty. If it's not Canadian I keep it. I tell myself that one day I'll go to Bermuda and spend all of my coins on some unlucky soul to get a beer.

A quick tally shows that so far I've found:

$193.49 Canadian (a few cases of beer)
$.50 Bahamas (a bad tip for a beer)
$5.03 Bermuda (one beer)
2.41 UK pounds (1/2 a beer if I'm lucky)
$.32 Euro (an extremely bad tip for a beer)

-Brian
 
I ran into some back alley money exchange places in Matomoros & Nuevo Laredo, Mexico that dealt in coins and bills. They had all sorts of foreign money they dealt with - most common was US and Canadian. I'm sure they would exchange your Canadian for US - probably 5-10% fee.
One guy did sell me a couple rolls worth of US halves - straight up for US currency - no fee. Also - no silver and he knew what he was looking at.
 
My foreign tallies are:

Canada: $19.79 (mostly from nickels and pennies)

Euro: €0.22 (what you'd find in the cushions of a couch)

British: £2.79 (saving all my limey coinage for my dream trip to London someday)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom