cannon ball in knapsack

neiceyu

Aug 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So while visiting the beach I did what I normally do.....walk. standing in the surf saw something shiny so had my son pick it up. VERY heavy and had two brass pieces exposed. After some searching found out it is a leather civil war knapsack! Pretty cool so I bring it home and soak it in water. Sediment that is encrusting is starting to break away and more leather straps are showing as well as two other brass pieces. Yesterday while cleaning up some of the other "lumps" we found I found 5 large cannon ball fragments.....cool again. So I decided once I was done with those to pull out the knapsack and hose it off. For giggles I scrapped it to see if any more of the gunk would come off and a large section cracked and fell off. THERE'S A CANNON BALL IN IT!!!! Now my question is how does one go bout getting the cannon ball out of the sack without destroying the sack or possibly getting blown up (not sure if its a live cannon ball)..........Any thoughts are appreciated

Attachments

• cannon ball.jpg
    cannon ball.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 246
Upvote 28

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
N

neiceyu

Aug 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS Wormslicer!! I can understand the skepticism who would think that someone would carry a cannonball in the sack?? It's so heavy thinking maybe it was an easy transport method for them as it seems as though they have attached a wooden handle to the bag......... more and more stuff falling off and just hoping that the bag does not get totally demolished. Still cannot see a fuse but it appears that the part of the ball that is exposed is the side not the top or bottom saving all the pieces and hoping its not a live shell. The actual straps are becoming more visible every day and the leather seems to be "loosening" as it was hard as a rock before soaking

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe it was used to sink something that would have otherwise floated when thrown off the ship.

Banner vote is in...

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your bowling ball is gone. Give it up, Tommy :D
This is a really great find. You never know what the day will bring.
Lol it seemed plausible at the time a bag and a ball I'll take you down bowling just for the record lol that's a freaking cool find and good mystery as well

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really cool. I may be mistaken but when relics come in from salt water they keep them in the salt water that has preserved them for so long as they do electrolysis. The salt water preserved it all these years and fresh water could cause a flash rust and deterioration. I would seek expert advice as the cannon ball in the bag is worth way more then just the cannon ball. I do not have the experience in this but you might want to contact some treasure salvors like Mel Fishers place or Booty salvage on here. I think you need to keep it in sea water and the more you mess with it the more it will deteriorate. You def want to keep the bag and hooks on this relic.
Good luck.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really cool. I may be mistaken but when relics come in from salt water they keep them in the salt water that has preserved them for so long as they do electrolysis. The salt water preserved it all these years and fresh water could cause a flash rust and deterioration. I would seek expert advice as the cannon ball in the bag is worth way more then just the cannon ball. I do not have the experience in this but you might want to contact some treasure salvors like Mel Fishers place or Booty salvage on here. I think you need to keep it in sea water and the more you mess with it the more it will deteriorate. You def want to keep the bag and hooks on this relic.
Good luck.

Tnmountains is correct on the risk of deterioration for iron artifacts long submerged in salt water. Such artifacts must be treated with electrolysis to rid the artifact of salt chlorides. Until electrolysis is performed, an iron artifact should be kept in water, although fresh water can be used. It need not be salt water. Certainly, this poses a substantial problem if you ever wish to display the artifact. Electrolysis will quite likely reduce the intriguing concretion consisting of the cannon ball, knapsack hooks, and who knows what else. It's a fantastic find, but you have only one chance to get it right in regards to any type of treatment/conservation. So take the time to make an informed decision for the best possible result.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

neiceyu

Aug 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks or the advice!!! Thought about the electrolysis but still not certain if the ball is live. Getting in touch with some locals that my sons know to see if they can help. Really would LOVE to display it still encased in the knapsack but safety first

JoshW

Oct 1, 2018
Valley Forge, PA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the others that if it is a salt water find, you will be fine with keeping it in a bucket of fresh water. Change the water every few weeks. I had a 32 pd shell in a fresh water soak for 15 yrs before we got around to getting it deactivated and run through electrolysis. I didn’t notice any degradation or rust in those years. The key is to keep it submerged and don’t let it dry without electrolysis. Congrats on the really cool find!

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. It's amazing that the knapsack still exists. I see this as a banner find, and seriously doubt that it will ever be repeated.

Could have had something to do with either a suicide or murder. If only it could talk .....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread