cannon ball

w.poort

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
revolutin war or french and indian war or war of 1812

found this in a lake near a old indian camp sight. Picture 172.jpg ,can anyone identifie this and can tell me why it was found in michigan waters. it wieghs approx 9 pounds and about 4 inches across and appears to be made of bronze.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Impossible to identify with out weight and accurate measurements. Weigh and get accurate diameter, then re-post on the "What is it" forum, and CannonBallGuy will be able to give you the low down on what you have.

Questions to ask....type of metal,weight,size? Part of the battle of 1812 took place up in your neck of the woods...enjoy the research!

Impossible to identify with out weight and accurate measurements. Weigh and get accurate diameter, then re-post on the "What is it" forum, and CannonBallGuy will be able to give you the low down on what you have.
yhe wieght is approx 9 pounds and it measures approxx 4 inches across and appears to be made of bronze.

I'm not a cannonball guru, But I do remember CBG saying that there are no cannonballs made of Bronze. I think thats what he said. Post in the whats it forum and he'll be along to fill you in.......................HH

I'm not a cannonball guru, But I do remember CBG saying that there are no cannonballs made of Bronze. I think thats what he said. Post in the whats it forum and he'll be along to fill you in.......................HH

Yes it my not be a CB, put it in WHAT IS THIS and you will know it's the Bronze that makes me think, but as we all know that's not good for me to do.

Interesting, let us know what you find out! HH, Mike

cannonballguy must not be very educated the french made there cannon balls out of bronze and the americans made theres out of iron and still the reson for this was because the french had more access to bronze that iron.

william333 said:
cannonballguy must not be very educated the french made there cannon balls out of bronze and the americans made theres out of iron and still the reson for this was because the french had more access to bronze that iron.

Don't say CBG is not knowledgeable. He is one of the most helpful and informative guys on this site.

grasshopper said:
Don't say CBG is not knowledgeable. He is one of the most helpful and informative guys on this site.

Yep, he's the go to guy.

I following now. Let's hear it CBG

WOW! welcome to Tnet there man.

And where did the French Fire them?

Last edited:
There were bronze cannonballs made by the Spanish and Mexicans, but I'm guessing this one was found somewhere up North due to the comments about the French and Indian War, Rev War, and War of 1812. I don't think the patina looks right on this one for a 200 + year old cannonball.

Here is a link to the standard cannon bores, ball weights, and diameters. Cannon bore, shot, and shell diameters for smoothbore guns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back