What's new

cannonball

adsaint

Tenderfoot
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
found what appears to be a cannonball but I cant seem to find out how old it is. help would be appreciated.

Sorry I dont have any pictures yet but ill try to get some soon
its about 6 3/4 inches in circumference about 2 inches in diameter
i think its made of solid lead, its covered in pock marks, cuts and scratches
not sure of the weight, and there are no markings on it
it was found near bunkie louisiana

from everything ive read civil war cannonballs were only made from iron

I know this isnt much info to go on but i hope someone can help
 
adsaint said:
found what appears to be a cannonball but I cant seem to find out how old it is. help would be appreciated.

Sorry I dont have any pictures yet but ill try to get some soon
its about 6 3/4 inches in circumference about 2 inches in diameter
i think its made of solid lead, its covered in pock marks, cuts and scratches
not sure of the weight, and there are no markings on it
it was found near bunkie louisiana

from everything ive read civil war cannonballs were only made from iron

I know this isnt much info to go on but i hope someone can help

probably civil war grapeshot. nice find!
 
Upvote 0
thanks for the reply

any idea how much it might be worth
 
Upvote 0
Sounds more like a mill ball.
 
Upvote 0
I hadnt even considered that. I suppose it could be a mill ball, but the only mills I know of around here are sugar mills. Would they have used lead balls for something like that?
 
Upvote 0
adsaint said:
I hadnt even considered that. I suppose it could be a mill ball, but the only mills I know of around here are sugar mills. Would they have used lead balls for something like that?


I really don't know anything about them, just giving you what I think is a lead to the most probable ID.
 
Upvote 0
I was of the impression that cannon balls and grape shot were made of iron? Is it magnetic at all? Monty
 
Upvote 0
im pretty sure its lead, its not magnetic, its heavy, and its a gray and blue color

I read civil war cannon balls were made of iron too which is why i was unsure of its age
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom