What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Cannot Read Artists Signature

Cariboo5

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2011
Messages
1,115
Reaction score
2,662
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Painting of The Castle Chillon - Lake Geneva, oil on canvas, signed and dated 1932, 14 x 16 inches unframed, looks like old frame was removed.
Signature is on back of painting and need help in id'ing.... Thanks to all ........
 

Attachments

  • Unknown Painting 0.webp
    Unknown Painting 0.webp
    73.7 KB · Views: 102
  • img1.webp
    img1.webp
    222.2 KB · Views: 87
Tried all my tricks to enhance the signature in the image, and ultimately found that I couldn't improve on it, as is.
damnit.gif


Smart folks will be around tomorrow, and hopefully one of them can ID it for you.
 
Upvote 3
I can’t read it, but this may help someone:

img3.webp


Note that it says “THE CASTLE OF CHILLON”, not “Château de Chillon” as it would be known by a native in Switzerland and, above the signature, the words “ORIGINAL COLOR” with an American spelling.

It’s an oft-painted scene by numerous professional artists, and this work might be styled on or copied from one of those renditions by an amateur who could prove to be untraceable.
 
Upvote 3
Thanks all for your input, what Red-Coat says makes sense here .....
 
Upvote 1
Try putting a UV-A(black) light on it and see if it makes it easier to read.
Sometimes it works...
Like DizzyDigger I tried all the tools I have black light included and even looked at the list of Switzerland artists for a match. Appears this one will remain unknown. searcher.. Thanks for your input & have a good one .....
 
Upvote 1
Like DizzyDigger I tried all the tools I have black light included and even looked at the list of Switzerland artists for a match. Appears this one will remain unknown. searcher.. Thanks for your input & have a good one .....

I think, if you find the artist at all, he/she will be American given the titling in English and the American spelling for "color" above the signature.
 
Upvote 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom