Car Thief Takes The Change In My Car AND My 1807 KG III :( Cool Find At The Dump Tho

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils -Minelab Manticore-
-Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all.

So yesterday really sucked for me as the title says. I was heading out for work yesterday and saw that my car door wasn't closed all the way. Get inside and my center console is open and some of the stuff I had in there was spread around. Immediately Im looking for my prized coin and its gone along with the few quarters I had in there :BangHead: ??? My wife's car had been gone through also, again just the change was taken. The only reason it was in my car was to show to a fellow detectorist last weekend, and I just never took it out. My friend had found a 183? Matron Head Large Cent in the park we have been going to last week. I brought it along so we could share our finds, Im glad he got a chance to see it, but my heart was really broken yesterday. Ill probably never find another KG III here in Milwaukee. I wish they would have just taken my car, thats how much that coin meant to me. On the bright side my Siamese Silver Bullet Coin was still in there. OH thats in the house now.

This thief was really stupid because he missed the credit card and the spare key for my Miata that was in my wife's car. My car is manual so I assume the thief couldn't drive stick. The police issued a report today that break ins and car thefts had been occurring in my area the last few days. I usually dont lock my cars because I live 3 blocks from the police station >:( Believe me they are going to be locked for the rest of my life. We try to save history, others just steal it...

SO with that said here is the find that made my day just a little better. It was slow in the afternoon at the auto shop that I work at. We save all the metal parts we take off customers vehicles. Every few weeks we fill up the scrap truck and head to the dump to cash it in. All that scrap turns into Friday lunch money for us. My bosses are really awesome:hello2: After we unloaded everything I looked down next to the truck and see this cool old chunk of iron on the ground...

2018082295142237 (1).jpg 2018082295142220.jpg

The double sided axe head is about 7 inches across. Here is what it looked like before cleaning it with CLR...

2018082395160833.jpg 2018082395160851.jpg

Here it is after some CLR and some scrubbing with a plastic brush. The discoloration was from it sitting on a rag with the cleaner over night.

I did notice a name stamped on one side but I can only make out the last few letters "A? U? S H A N" If any one knows the name of the maker feel free to chime in. Or if anyone can alter the picture to get more detail you may.

2018082395161017.jpg

I really dont want to mess with it any more until I can figure out the age and maker. Id love to restore it but if its really old Id rather not. Let me know your thoughts about what I should do with it. I know I would love to chuck it at the guy who took my coin right about now :laughing7:

As always Good Luck, Happy Hunting and now LOCK UP YOUR TREASURES!!!

"Keep it secret. Keep it safe."
-Gandalf

Upvote 15
TMD,

I'm sorry to hear about the theft of your coin during the car burglary. Here's a little incident I experienced in 1987. Before I went to work for the state I worked for the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office. I was a young patrol deputy back then and had the honor of taking 73 reports from victims of car burglaries in two adjoining subdivisions an all within one (1) 12 hour shift!!!

The Thanks God that night our "sister" shift caught the burglar's in another subdivision, not far from the two (2) mentioned above, or there's no telling how many reports I'd have taken the next day, since I was still assigned to that same patrol zone. As it turned out, the burglars were five (5) teenagers on bicycles, all were wearing backpacks, to safe keep there stolen loot. They ranged from between 13 and 16 years of age.

During questioning they told the detectives that they were mainly looking for money, jewelry, radar detectors and guns. They also said they hit targets of opportunity, such as unlocked cars, however, if there was a vehicle they really wanted to get into and it was locked, well no big deal, One of the kids father owned a wrecker service and this little piece of work, whom I arrested many times afterwards as he grew up to be a fine young adult, before he was finally sent away for a long time, was very skilled in using a "Lock-Jock"and could pop a door faster than anyone I'd ever seen before, of course that was back when 90% of the cars still had manual locks and if you were fortunate enough to have automatic locks and a car alarm, well you were stepping in "High Cotton"!!!

Anyhow, the irony of it all was, these little "turd's" lived in either one (1) of the subdivisions that were hit or very close by. Heck, one (1) of the boys lived in in the first neighborhood that I took the reports in and this little "Turd" admitted to burglarizing two (2) cars from his neighbors that lived on each side of his own house!!!

Needless to say that before the above incident took place, I hated a thief, but after those 73 individual reports and there supplemental's were finally completed, I really, really hated a thief!!!

Once again, I'm sorry to hear about the lose of your coin, but on a brighter side, congrats on that cool ax head!!! Take care, God bless and HH...

"D"

a good number of years ago, a guy I worked with got his car broken into. They stole his stereo, tapes, sunglasses, and some loose change. They also damaged the door and paint while breaking in, and took a knife and cut up the seats. To top it off, they took a dump in the back seat. A group of three teenagers were later arrested for it after bragging and laughing about it at high school. The cops turned them over to their parents and the judge ordered that restitution was to be made. He didn't get a single bit of his stuff back and never got a dime of the restitution, ever. The kids didn't learn any lesson, and the parents didn't do their job to see that he was reimbursed for loss and damages. Bottom line is he got shafted for the whole deal. Depending on the situation, while I might not actually shoot someone if I caught them, I would hold them at gun point for the cops and let them know that they won't get a second chance. Entering my house however, is a whole different story.

i cut holes in razor blades and put them about every 2 inches behind my car stereo in my 70 charger someone broke in again blood everywhere police said they could sue you even though its my car and locked just like the guy who broke into some ones skylight to get in their house and fell and sued the home owner sorry that happened to you.......

It's unfortunate A2, but they were telling you the truth, most states, unfortunately deem that as a premeditated act to inflict bodily harm, which I think great bodily harm should be inflicted, but that's my own opinion.

In my state, the old "Cliche" holds true, as it seems the laws actually do protect the criminals more so than the hard working, honest people!!! I have to deal with this crap on a weekly basis an it seems to be getting worst each passing year.

I don't know about the other states, but Louisiana criminal law's have to many loop holes, and if you have the money, a good "silver tongued" lawyer and a sympathetic / liberal jury, then you'd be Scott free in no time and if you did get convicted, you'd have to serve a very minimum sentence and that's usually waived, However the courts here, well they'll fine you for the crime, because they're broke and need that money!!!

"D"

That stinks you lost your oldest find. I can imagine what you felt when you realized it was gone
All the gun posts somehow miss the fact that unless your gun wakes itself up in the middle of the night, walks downstairs and opens the door then fires itself at the guy, none of this would be any different.

a 12 gauge double barrel loaded with number 4 buckshot ….27 pellets x 2 = 54 -- .24 in dia lead pellets ...oh yah that's gonna leave a mark or two

a 12 gauge double barrel loaded with number 4 buckshot ….27 pellets x 2 = 54 -- .24 in dia lead pellets ...oh yah that's gonna leave a mark or two --- I got aecurity light that lights up when they get close to the house -- its very bright --wakes me up nicely --then --its "uou , you light up my life" time

I can’t stand a thief. I hope karma bites them hard. I hope you find something more awesome than the coin. Karma coming you’re way.

That's the thing that really torks me off! Fools will break windows & window tracks causing a few hundred bucks damage for a half pack of cigarettes and some pocket change. One of the guys I worked with actually caught a kid in his car. Beat him up pretty good, but didn't call the cops. I'm like why!?!? He sent the wife in for the camera. Took several pics of the kid & a pic of his school ID. Wrote his address down. He told the kid, "I know who you are, where you live, and one day I'll run into you somewhere and give you the rest of your a$$ kickin!". He showed the pics at work & the look of pure fear on the kids face was hysterical! After I thought about it awhile, it was sure genius. The kids gonna be running around looking over his shoulder for years to come. The psychological value was way worse than a fine or couple days in juvi could've done.

In the early 70s I caught a girl in my 60s econoline van. she had slipped the windwing and was leaning in. Walking up from the beach I shoved the door as hard as I could pinning her legs. Some guy walked up & asked if I wanted him to call the cops. The cops actually showed up before he got back from the payphone. Ended up tweeked the door a little & broke her leg "trying to detain her :laughing7:" Cop added to the report in his observation it appeared her leg broke while she was trying to punch me. :icon_thumright: Ever see a girl that could punch over head & behind her? :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: Fixed the door myself & had a couple nice steak dinners with the restitution money.

In the early 70s I caught a girl in my 60s econoline van. she had slipped the windwing and was leaning in. Walking up from the beach I shoved the door as hard as I could pinning her legs. Some guy walked up & asked if I wanted him to call the cops. The cops actually showed up before he got back from the payphone. Ended up tweeked the door a little & broke her leg "trying to detain her " Cop added to the report in his observation it appeared her leg broke while she was trying to punch me. Ever see a girl that could punch over head & behind her? Fixed the door myself & had a couple nice steak dinners with the restitution money.

So you're bragging about breaking a girl's leg? Really? Sounds like a gutless act to me...

i cut holes in razor blades and put them about every 2 inches behind my car stereo in my 70 charger someone broke in again blood everywhere police said they could sue you even though its my car and locked just like the guy who broke into some ones skylight to get in thier house and fell and sued the home owner sorry that happened to you.......
Search for boobie trapping. A classic case they use in police science classes is the farmer who had a house on the back of his property that the kids kept breaking in to party. He wired a 12 ga. on a stand pointing at the door. A kid tripped it & was killed. The key part of the farmer losing in court was "He had no control over who got shot". Best thing I've seen was an air horn added to the alarm system and the guy added a pressure relief switch cobbled from a scrap that looked like a mini clothes pin under the faceplate of his stereo. Not lethal but you could sure track them with the pee trail!

Seriously! Google up booby trapping + court cases. It'll keep you out of trouble.

That is a good idea. Dont know of any pawn shops around me. Fortunately the coin was dug and well aged and probably not worth much. Just sentimental cus it was my oldest coin to date. Chances are they thought it was a half dollar and tried to spend it...

Well based on the info I have. Find those pawnshops! Cash for gold/silver. Do you have a picture?

They will probably give it up if you do. Google it.

Want your coin back? Watch Ebay for it. If the thief is computer-savvy at all, he might try to sell it.

Before you do that though, go to the local coin stores and tell them to keep an eye out for someone selling your coin. You probably have pics of it. They can tell if its yours, and you can have them call you on the fly if the coin shows up. Maybe even buy it back for you, if it means that much.

Good luck!

That stinks you lost your oldest find. I can imagine what you felt when you realized it was gone
All the gun posts somehow miss the fact that unless your gun wakes itself up in the middle of the night, walks downstairs and opens the door then fires itself at the guy, none of this would be any different.

Thanks Dirtwisher. Sure felt like garbage. I agree with you about the gun. I would have had to catch them, but on the other hand there is also sleeping that needs to be done. I keep hoping it will pop up in the wash or under the seats ive checked numerous times..

I can’t stand a thief. I hope karma bites them hard. I hope you find something more awesome than the coin. Karma coming you’re way.

Thanks Junkironkid. I feel the same way. I cant wait till I find the next oldie. This is a good start and Im not complaining.

Well based on the info I have. Find those pawnshops! Cash for gold/silver. Do you have a picture?

They will probably give it up if you do. Google it.

Thanks goldog I will have to get on that. I do have a few pics of it handy..

Want your coin back? Watch Ebay for it. If the thief is computer-savvy at all, he might try to sell it.

Before you do that though, go to the local coin stores and tell them to keep an eye out for someone selling your coin. You probably have pics of it. They can tell if its yours, and you can have them call you on the fly if the coin shows up. Maybe even buy it back for you, if it means that much.

Good luck!

Thanks Shakakka. ebay I will keep an eye on for sure. There is a coin store maybe 5 miles away. Ill will have to give them a call asap. I have a few pics as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back