Car Thief Takes The Change In My Car AND My 1807 KG III :( Cool Find At The Dump Tho

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils -Minelab Manticore-
-Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all.

So yesterday really sucked for me as the title says. I was heading out for work yesterday and saw that my car door wasn't closed all the way. Get inside and my center console is open and some of the stuff I had in there was spread around. Immediately Im looking for my prized coin and its gone along with the few quarters I had in there :BangHead: ??? My wife's car had been gone through also, again just the change was taken. The only reason it was in my car was to show to a fellow detectorist last weekend, and I just never took it out. My friend had found a 183? Matron Head Large Cent in the park we have been going to last week. I brought it along so we could share our finds, Im glad he got a chance to see it, but my heart was really broken yesterday. Ill probably never find another KG III here in Milwaukee. I wish they would have just taken my car, thats how much that coin meant to me. On the bright side my Siamese Silver Bullet Coin was still in there. OH thats in the house now.

This thief was really stupid because he missed the credit card and the spare key for my Miata that was in my wife's car. My car is manual so I assume the thief couldn't drive stick. The police issued a report today that break ins and car thefts had been occurring in my area the last few days. I usually dont lock my cars because I live 3 blocks from the police station >:( Believe me they are going to be locked for the rest of my life. We try to save history, others just steal it...

SO with that said here is the find that made my day just a little better. It was slow in the afternoon at the auto shop that I work at. We save all the metal parts we take off customers vehicles. Every few weeks we fill up the scrap truck and head to the dump to cash it in. All that scrap turns into Friday lunch money for us. My bosses are really awesome:hello2: After we unloaded everything I looked down next to the truck and see this cool old chunk of iron on the ground...

2018082295142237 (1).jpg 2018082295142220.jpg

The double sided axe head is about 7 inches across. Here is what it looked like before cleaning it with CLR...

2018082395160833.jpg 2018082395160851.jpg

Here it is after some CLR and some scrubbing with a plastic brush. The discoloration was from it sitting on a rag with the cleaner over night.

I did notice a name stamped on one side but I can only make out the last few letters "A? U? S H A N" If any one knows the name of the maker feel free to chime in. Or if anyone can alter the picture to get more detail you may.

2018082395161017.jpg

I really dont want to mess with it any more until I can figure out the age and maker. Id love to restore it but if its really old Id rather not. Let me know your thoughts about what I should do with it. I know I would love to chuck it at the guy who took my coin right about now :laughing7:

As always Good Luck, Happy Hunting and now LOCK UP YOUR TREASURES!!!

"Keep it secret. Keep it safe."
-Gandalf

Upvote 15

Rich jaws

Oct 27, 2014
NY
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes you wish you had that axe head mounted on a good long piece of ash and found them in the car. Could have christened that axe head all over again. Lol

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You may want to notify any local pawn shops regarding the coin. The idiot that took your stuff MAY be smart enough to realize it could be worth something.
Just gives us another reason to own a gun.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the stolen coin, getting robbed is never fun.

On the bright side, I can identify that axe for ya!

It's a "Vaughan" and incidentally the company started in my hometown Peoria, IL. Cool find!

Vtg-Vaughan-Forest-Service-FS-USFS-Double-Bit-_1.jpg

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry to hear about the theft. It's sad, but the thief probably didn't even realise what he has stolen. On the bright side, that's a great looking axe head!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my latest auto theft deterrent device

M&P40.JPG

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes you wish you had that axe head mounted on a good long piece of ash and found them in the car. Could have christened that axe head all over again. Lol

Oh yeah that would make me feel a bit better lol. Its too bad I was a day late and a dollar short..

You may want to notify any local pawn shops regarding the coin. The idiot that took your stuff MAY be smart enough to realize it could be worth something.
Just gives us another reason to own a gun.

That is a good idea. Dont know of any pawn shops around me. Fortunately the coin was dug and well aged and probably not worth much. Just sentimental cus it was my oldest coin to date. Chances are they thought it was a half dollar and tried to spend it already...Oh yeah a gun is on my list for sure now.

Sorry about the stolen coin, getting robbed is never fun.

On the bright side, I can identify that axe for ya!

It's a "Vaughan" and incidentally the company started in my hometown Peoria, IL. Cool find!

View attachment 1624827

Thanks Plumbata. It does suck. Never happened to me before. Hope it wont happen again. You nailed the ID on this one (just like the silver bullet coin)
Awesome that its local history for you. I was hoping it was 1800s but early to mid 1900s is still cool enough for me. Wont feel bad cleaning it up real nice and putting a fresh handle on it...and maybe chase off the next thief with it... Heeeres TheMilDetector!!!!

Sorry to hear about the theft. It's sad, but the thief probably didn't even realise what he has stolen. On the bright side, that's a great looking axe head!

Thanks Aureus. Yeah im sure they have no idea what it is. The axe is the nicest one Ive found so far. Going to restore it for sure.

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave it as is but sharpen the two ends and use it to split fire wood for a campfire-- it will be ok as you found it but sharp as a razor to chop wood as it was intended for when it was made. Nice new handle would make it old and new at the same time. HAPPY HUNTING

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The double headed axe is ba ba bad to da bone

Thanks! You gave me an idea for its name... "Bone Crusher"

Probably a junkie,, really sucks.
Congrats on the axe.

I agree. That or some really dumb local kids..

Leave it as is but sharpen the two ends and use it to split fire wood for a campfire-- it will be ok as you found it but sharp as a razor to chop wood as it was intended for when it was made. Nice new handle would make it old and new at the same time. HAPPY HUNTING

DigDeeperNow thank you. That is the probably the best idea for this piece. Plain simple and useful.
I was thinking of sharpening it and painting it but this is a MUCH better plan. :occasion14:

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry to hear about the stolen coins. The idiot might not have even realized what he had and spent it.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a shame to hear what happened to your car. My doors are locked everywhere, and there isnt even anything kept in the vehicle worth stealing. Only the vehicle itself if they want to try. And yes, like Jewelerguy I own a few Auto Theft Deterrent Devices ! Its like American Express use to say, "Dont leave home without it" !

achetadomestica

Feb 5, 2017
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Locking your doors will only keep honest people out.
I locked my doors one day and someone popped my widow and stole my wallet.
It had a Susan B Anthony dollar in it. I had to cancel my cc and get a new license.
About 2 weeks later a guy called me up and had found the discarded wallet with the cards in it.
I lost 1 dollar and $120 to fix my window.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i cut holes in razor blades and put them about every 2 inches behind my car stereo in my 70 charger someone broke in again blood everywhere police said they could sue you even though its my car and locked just like the guy who broke into some ones skylight to get in thier house and fell and sued the home owner sorry that happened to you.......

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sig sauer 9mm 13 round clip on your side go USA

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about the stolen coins. The idiot might not have even realized what he had and spent it.

Thanks Gene, Im sure thats what happened. Maybe ill get it back in my change someday.

Thats a shame to hear what happened to your car. My doors are locked everywhere, and there isnt even anything kept in the vehicle worth stealing. Only the vehicle itself if they want to try. And yes, like Jewelerguy I own a few Auto Theft Deterrent Devices ! Its like American Express use to say, "Dont leave home without it" !

It really is a huge disappointment. Ill be doing the same from now on. Auto Theft Deterrent is the next thing... Well after I get this axe put back together...

It had a Susan B Anthony dollar in it. I had to cancel my cc and get a new license.
About 2 weeks later a guy called me up and had found the discarded wallet with the cards in it.

Sorry to hear about your car and wallet. Yeah locking it is just a start, but if they want to get in they will. How dumb must they have been to steal a dollar and no cards?!? Whats the point in being a thief in the first place then? Glad someone was nice enough to give it back to you.

i cut holes in razor blades and put them about every 2 inches behind my car stereo in my 70 charger someone broke in again blood everywhere police said they could sue you even though its my car and locked just like the guy who broke into some ones skylight to get in thier house and fell and sued the home owner sorry that happened to you.......

sig sauer 9mm 13 round clip on your side go USA

Wow that is brutal but I bet they never tried to break in to your charger again. Its sad that we live in a time where a thief can get away with braking in AND SUE THE VICTIM AT THE SAME TIME!!! Bring back the days of dueling in the streets over a disagreement. Believe me ill be picking up a Auto Theft Deterrent real soon...In addition to my new axe...

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wow Mil that really sucks, maybe you'll get lucky and find the KG again in a park where the idiot dropped it again after shooting up.

Achetadomestica - that sucks reminds me when I went to college in Detroit 30 years ago, one guy had his car broken in to steal the returnable bottles in the back seat (probably $3 worth) and another friend made a cardboard sign that said no radio inside and left his doors unlocked just so the windows wouldn't get broken. I always keep my vehicles locked since then.

Good luck out there

Pete

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread