What's new

Carbine Sling Buckle?

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Messages
1,769
Reaction score
76
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a find found last year that may be a Carbine Sling Buckle. What's everyones thought's?
Dimensions are 3 1/4" long and 2" wide.
Thanks,

Hill
 

Attachments

  • Carbine Sling Buckle 001.webp
    Carbine Sling Buckle 001.webp
    49 KB · Views: 430
  • Carbine Sling Buckle 002.webp
    Carbine Sling Buckle 002.webp
    49.3 KB · Views: 414
I agree 4H, it does look like one.
I can't find a stamping on it.
I'm wondering if anyone has dimensions for this piece to compare to?
Then I'd know for sure.

Thanks
Hill
 
Upvote 0
HB, I do think it is a brass carbine sling buckle with the center bar missing. As you and Mike (4-H) know, the solder marks from the center bar remain on your example. I have never been lucky enough to dig one but do own a couple. I have one from a CW hospital from the Battle of Nashville with some leather belt still attached on both ends and the measurements you give from yours are the same. WTG Bud. HH, Quindy.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Quindy on the size comparison, we now know what it is for sure.

Hill
 
Upvote 0
Now that would have been something most people probably wouldn't have thought much about. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
Now that would have been something most people probably wouldn't have thought much about. :thumbsup:

:wink:

It pays to ID.


Great find, HB. Sorry we overlooked back when it was dug. Got preoccupied with all the other great finds and didn't give that much though at the time. If it'd had the crossbar I would've known immediately what it was. I remember you digging it and me brushing on it some with my glove to see if I could see a stamping, design, or solder marks (which I couldn't see any of at the time).

It's great to get it ID'ed. Now you can put it proudly on display with that lock plate to that Cosmopolitan Carbine that was probably carried by that very sling buckle!

Lock Plate.webp
 

Attachments

  • Lock Plate.webp
    Lock Plate.webp
    34 KB · Views: 301
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom