Carrying a firearm while detecting

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being an avid and pro 2nd A. Believer, there are many places I want to explore, however, I feel a bit safer with a side arm if you will. Researching many a clues, I am looking at remote wilderness areas out and away from the general public.
Licensed to "Own" a firearm is much different than the elusive, next to impossible to obtain CCW in California, to which I do not have.
Just curious on everyone's thoughts as to carrying a firearm while detecting, and, it seems as though while wearing earphones it is a little behind the eight ball so to speak (as I would be challenged to hear anything but the sounds of the detector), but, that said, I would "feel" more secure.
So, do you carry while detecting in remote areas?

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FLORIDA KEYS PIRATE

Mar 29, 2016
Inverness FL.
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a good idea to carry while detecting. Especially if you're out at night. To many crazies out there these days ! Stay safe !

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Living in southern Komifornia, the right to self protection has always been just a dream. Until a lawsuit challenge finally went our way. Now most county's with an few exceptions, grant ccw's with a good cause statement. here in OC I actually used my metal detecting hobby as my good cause statement. ( hunt out of the way places, expensive equipment, predators both human and animal,etc.) I received my permit.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Nor CA and have my CCW, There are actually a lot of counties and cities coming on board. Even my brother down in So Cal has his.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a CCW but only carry in the woods .. I never feel the need to carry any other time ..Now i see a lot of road rage with ones pulling out there weapons out and even shooting them in the news as of late .. I knew that this would happen eventually. But like everything there is a GOOD and BAD side to it ... Most of my family and friends do not even know i have any thing except a 22 rifle..

I would love to see these Legal CCW holders shooting folks with Road rage?????????????? I think the national Statistics of CCW permit holders commiting crimes is almost not measureable. SO hopefully that was not what you were insinuating.

Last edited:

aamkajutsu

Greenie
Mar 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ranger up...

Lord, make me fast and accurate.

Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me.

Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine.

Let not my last thought be if only I had my gun.

And Lord if today is truly the day that you call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have my CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) as NC calls it but I have never carried while detecting. It's not unusual for me to end up at a school yard while I am out detecting and we aren't allowed to carry on school property. But there have been 1 or 2 times that I wouldn't have minded having it on me. Luckily nothing happened.

With the state of things lately, I should probably have it with me at all times and just lock it in the trunk if I do go to a school yard. (Per NC law. :BangHead:)

Everybody stay safe out there.

PS - Concealed carry holders are probably the most law abiding group of people in the US.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would love to see these Legal CCW holders shooting folks with Road rage?????????????? I think the national Statistics of CCW permit holders commiting crimes is almost not measureable. SO hopefully that not what you were insinuating.
I said that instead of having road rage and running some one off the road now some CCW holders are shooting at each other in there road rage ..Just seen another one on the news last week.. But you must think all that have a CCW are just all honest people .. There are crazy and violent And hot head people all over now a days no matter what they do for a living or hobby or no matter what kind of permit they have... look at you how fast you got upset to what i posted .. Why i don't know .

Last edited:

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said that instead of having road rage and running some one off the road now some CCW holders are shooting at each other in there road rage ..Just seen another one on the news last week.. But you must think all that have a CCW are just all honest people .. There are crazy and violent And hot head people all over now a days no matter what they do for a living or hobby or no matter what kind of permit they have... look at you how fast you got upset to what i posted .. Why i don't know .

Please Post the Story of these CCW permit holders playing Wild Wild West. Would love to read all about it. Secondly, I would not go Word for word off of what the news skews. Fact people Facts :D

I am not saying it could never happen or hasn't ever, But I would bet it didn't with your story. Again, actual FBI statistics have proven for many years CCW holders commit almost no crime.

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Living in southern Komifornia, the right to self protection has always been just a dream. Until a lawsuit challenge finally went our way. Now most county's with an few exceptions, grant ccw's with a good cause statement. here in OC I actually used my metal detecting hobby as my good cause statement. ( hunt out of the way places, expensive equipment, predators both human and animal,etc.) I received my permit.

Down here in New Orleans it's a necessity and it makes me feel so much better. God and Gods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Please Post the Story of these CCW permit holders playing Wild Wild West. Would love to read all about it. Secondly, I would not go Word for word off of what the news skews. Fact people Facts :D

I am not saying it could never happen or hasn't ever, But I would bet it didn't with your story. Again, actual FBI statistics have proven for many years CCW holders commit almost no crime.
Yes. Please post links to these "stories" your citing. The facts show that ccw holders are involved in so few shootings that it is statistically insignificant. The wild wild west that was predicted by the anti gun crowd never materialized, but that doesn't keep the liberal media from portraying a different picture.
CCw holders as a whole are the most law abiding citizens out there and I take comfort knowing they are out there in public to protect you and I from people who don't care about the law.

Edit: Sorry Jackalope, I meant to quote Keppy

Last edited:

asrussell96

Jul 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being ex military I am very pro 2nd amendment. Currently I do not have my CCW but I will shortly and I will carry when I detect. For now I go to safe areas where there is a much less chance of bumping into a thug. My springfield .45 is begging for me to take her with me....For now she gets to sleep on my bed side table

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
I have a CCW but only carry in the woods .. I never feel the need to carry any other time ..Now i see a lot of road rage with ones pulling out there weapons out and even shooting them in the news as of late .. I knew that this would happen eventually. But like everything there is a GOOD and BAD side to it ... Most of my family and friends do not even know i have any thing except a 22 rifle..
I'll tell you why Jackolope got upset with your post. It is comments like yours that completely ignore the facts or skew the facts to suit their own agenda. It is frustrating how many people form opinions based on B.S.
You say you see a LOT of road rage were ccw's are pulling guns?? Are you serious? And you KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN EVENTUALLY?? I really doubt you even have a ccw. If you did you would have known the vetting process that I see your state has.
Concealed Carry - Resources, Maps, Forums, Articles - USA Carry
Does this look like they are giving them out to crazy people? Just like cops, some may slip through the system, but as a whole, Yes they are all good law abiding people.

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a Scary Story. Glad you are ok. America is out of control.
Toolman Butch

Since my original post was deleted due to getting around profanity by using symbols, I will attempt to tell my story again without violating the forum rules (sorry about that, my apologies).

So my family was visiting relatives in Louisiana and we decided to visit New Orleans and get Beignets at Cafe DuMonde then visit the WWII museum. I had my wife, three kids and my father-in-law with me. After parking the car, two gentlemen of questionable character approached me and asked for money. I responded with "I have nothing for you". They then proceeded to direct me to an ATM where I could withdraw some money and give it to them. I immediately replied along the lines of "are you out of your mind?, I'm not going to go to an ATM to give you money" ...followed by something similar to "you better get on your way out of here". The two gentlemen of questionable character then aggressively approached my father-in-law and looked like they were about to attack him and punch him in the face. I responded along the lines of "you better back off friend". After that one of them approached me and started reaching his hand behind his waist. I responded along the lines of "you better keep your hands where I can see them". Simultaneously, my right hand swept toward my gun and he stopped in his tracks. Noticing this, his gentlemen friend of questionable character advised him that they better leave. Thankfully the incident ended there. I was a gnats hair from drawing down on him, and if he had continued to approach or kept sweeping his hand behind his back, he would have gone to sleep permanently.

The moral of the story is bad things can happen in the best of places and the worst of places. That is a fact of the real world we live in. Sure chances are nothing would happen, but on this day I had actually contemplated not carrying my weapon even though LA and my state have reciprocity. Had I not been carrying this situation could have been a disaster. If anything were to happen to my kids because I was too lazy to carry that day, I could never live with myself.

Unless you can predict the future it is always better to be prepared. It has nothing to do with being paranoid and it has nothing to do with what part of town you are in. I choose not to leave the safety of my family to chance or the devices of other people.

c6b9afd7fa647a8aa84d8d5d38570e46.jpg

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not give any advice, nor will I. What do you mean?
Toolman Butch
Actually in the rocks & mountains here a rattler can move a lot faster than a man, so can a mountain lion. However, if I ever seek advice on self defense here in AZ it won't be from someone in NY.

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Cowboys and Cowgirls

So here is what I do. I wear headphones and I listen to tones. I do not care about numbers. I am always scanning around my area as I detect. If I here a Tone I then look at my screen. If I see people near my area I watch them and I avoid them. I will never get into an area that may conceal danger. When I dig I scan around me. Never ever do I let my guard down.
Other things.
Back into a parking area.
Park by lighting, in an open area.
Lock all Doors
Always face an entrance when sitting.
Be near a working exit.

Just be aware of your surroundings and avoid conflict.

Sounds like what here call in NY "Beer Balls" is where this thread is going. Tough Talk, Cheap Talk, Not Thinking Talk. Carrying a Firearm is serious. Be smart about it. Always be thinking to stay out of conflicts.

You pull a Gun and you had better be within an instant of your life being in danger and you better be able to prove it. Otherwise you will be in a living HELL!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Cowboys and Cowgirls

So here is what I do. I wear headphones and I listen to tones. I do not care about numbers. I am always scanning around my area as I detect. If I here a Tone I then look at my screen. If I see people near my area I watch them and I avoid them. I will never get into an area that may conceal danger. When I dig I scan around me. Never ever do I let my guard down.
Other things.
Back into a parking area.
Park by lighting, in an open area.
Lock all Doors
Always face an entrance when sitting.
Be near a working exit.

Just be aware of your surroundings and avoid conflict.

Sounds like what here call in NY "Beer Balls" is where this thread is going. Tough Talk, Cheap Talk, Not Thinking Talk. Carrying a Firearm is serious. Be smart about it. Always be thinking to stay out of conflicts.

You pull a Gun and you had better be within an instant of your life being in danger and you better be able to prove it. Otherwise you will be in a living HELL!

I carry a firearm 99.9% of the time. Unfortunately you can't always avoid conflict and an "area of conceal danger" can change in an instant. My firearm is a last resort but it is a resort that I have if needed. I would only use it if I felt I, my family, another citizens life was threaten or my property was threaten. I live in Florida, we have 'castle law" and we have "stand your ground law". It has absolutely nothing to do with "beer balls".

Prime example of why I carry a firearm every where I go.... This is the middle of walmart parking lot, middle of a Sunday afternoon.....

SHAWNEE, Kan. —Shawnee police said they’re still looking for a man who ran from the scene of an assault and fatal shooting at a Walmart parking lot Sunday afternoon.

Police said the man was one of two people who tried to steal a woman’s car in the lot. The crime was stopped by two good Samaritans who came to her rescue.

The woman was trying to put her baby in the car seat when she was struck in the head. One man ran to her aid but was shot and critically injured.

A second good Samaritan had a gun and fatally shot one of the two robbers. The dead man has been identified as John Simmons III, 28, of Kansas City, Missouri.

Police detained a man they initially thought was the second attacker but later determined that he wasn’t.

Maj. Dan Tennis, of the Shawnee Police Department, said police have some good leads in their effort to find the second man.

“We have his path of travel, the way he exited the area,” Tennis said. “We have that down now. We did not have that yesterday.”

The wide array of store security cameras in the area has been helpful in the effort.

Shopper Lisa Vogel said the actions of the two good Samaritans are the talk of Shawnee.
“I thought it was great! I wish I could have (stepped in),” she said. “I would have taken my cane and, you know. Stealing a car with a baby in it -- that doesn't fly around here.”

"I was kind of glad that there was a citizen that was armed. That could have prevented further harm," said Chris Chapman.
"Good people should have the right to carry a gun," said Johnna Beckman. "I'm just glad they were able to help that family."
"It would be hard for me to make a decision like that. It really would, to be in their shoes," said Raymond Vallejo.
The woman who was attacked has been released from a hospital. The man who was shot trying to help her underwent surgery Sunday and was listed in critical condition at last check.
Police seek 2nd man in attack on woman in Walmart parking lot | Local News - KMBC Home

Here is our law

776.012 Use or threatened use of force in defense of person.—(1) A person is justified in using or threatening to use force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force. A person who uses or threatens to use force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat before using or threatening to use such force.
(2) A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person who uses or threatens to use deadly force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground if the person using or threatening to use the deadly force is not engaged in a criminal activity and is in a place where he or she has a right to be.
History.—s. 13, ch. 74-383; s. 1188, ch. 97-102; s. 2, ch. 2005-27; s. 3, ch. 2014-195.

776.013 Home protection; use or threatened use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.—(1) A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using or threatening to use defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:(a) The person against whom the defensive force was used or threatened was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person’s will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and
(b) The person who uses or threatens to use defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.

(2) The presumption set forth in subsection (1) does not apply if:(a) The person against whom the defensive force is used or threatened has the right to be in or is a lawful resident of the dwelling, residence, or vehicle, such as an owner, lessee, or titleholder, and there is not an injunction for protection from domestic violence or a written pretrial supervision order of no contact against that person; or
(b) The person or persons sought to be removed is a child or grandchild, or is otherwise in the lawful custody or under the lawful guardianship of, the person against whom the defensive force is used or threatened; or
(c) The person who uses or threatens to use defensive force is engaged in a criminal activity or is using the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle to further a criminal activity; or
(d) The person against whom the defensive force is used or threatened is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who enters or attempts to enter a dwelling, residence, or vehicle in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using or threatening to use force knew or reasonably should have known that the person entering or attempting to enter was a law enforcement officer.

(3) A person who is attacked in his or her dwelling, residence, or vehicle has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and use or threaten to use force, including deadly force, if he or she uses or threatens to use force in accordance with s. 776.012(1) or (2) or s. 776.031(1) or (2).
(4) A person who unlawfully and by force enters or attempts to enter a person’s dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle is presumed to be doing so with the intent to commit an unlawful act involving force or violence.
(5) As used in this section, the term:(a) “Dwelling” means a building or conveyance of any kind, including any attached porch, whether the building or conveyance is temporary or permanent, mobile or immobile, which has a roof over it, including a tent, and is designed to be occupied by people lodging therein at night.
(b) “Residence” means a dwelling in which a person resides either temporarily or permanently or is visiting as an invited guest.
(c) “Vehicle” means a conveyance of any kind, whether or not motorized, which is designed to transport people or property.

History.—s. 1, ch. 2005-27; s. 4, ch. 2014-195.

776.031 Use or threatened use of force in defense of property.—(1) A person is justified in using or threatening to use force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate the other’s trespass on, or other tortious or criminal interference with, either real property other than a dwelling or personal property, lawfully in his or her possession or in the possession of another who is a member of his or her immediate family or household or of a person whose property he or she has a legal duty to protect. A person who uses or threatens to use force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat before using or threatening to use such force.
(2) A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force only if he or she reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person who uses or threatens to use deadly force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground if the person using or threatening to use the deadly force is not engaged in a criminal activity and is in a place where he or she has a right to be.
History.—s. 13, ch. 74-383; s. 1189, ch. 97-102; s. 3, ch. 2005-27; s. 5, ch. 2014-195.

In florida we are also protected from criminal and civil actions for justifiable use of said force.

776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use or threatened use of force.—(1) A person who uses or threatens to use force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in such conduct and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use or threatened use of such force by the person, personal representative, or heirs of the person against whom the force was used or threatened, unless the person against whom force was used or threatened is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using or threatening to use force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution” includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or prosecuting the defendant.
(2) A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use or threatened use of force as described in subsection (1), but the agency may not arrest the person for using or threatening to use force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used or threatened was unlawful.
(3) The court shall award reasonable attorney’s fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection (1).
History.—s. 4, ch. 2005-27; s. 6, ch. 2014-195.

Last edited:

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to get in a pissing match with you, just trying to prevent people thinking that a Gun is a solution to any threat. I also carry 24/7, but I am also well versed in this and I know the laws. I carry in 35 States, all state laws are different.
Toolman Butch

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to get in a pissing match with you, just trying to prevent people thinking that a Gun is a solution to any threat. I also carry 24/7, but I am also well versed in this and I know the laws. I carry in 35 States, all state laws are different.
Toolman Butch
Not trying to get in match either my friend, I'm the same as you and I also know the laws for Florida and I can look up any state I plan to visit and what their laws are. I personally think every citizen should be trained on how to use firearms and carry if they LEGALLY can, but that is just my personal opinion, may not be someone else's.

I have a lot of friends and relatives who do carry....

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes. Please post links to these "stories" your citing. The facts show that ccw holders are involved in so few shootings that it is statistically insignificant. The wild wild west that was predicted by the anti gun crowd never materialized, but that doesn't keep the liberal media from portraying a different picture.
CCw holders as a whole are the most law abiding citizens out there and I take comfort knowing they are out there in public to protect you and I from people who don't care about the law.

Edit: Sorry Jackalope, I meant to quote Keppy
MXTMAN & Jackalope you see what i mean by ones that have A CCW and can not keep a cool head I would hate to see either of you in a road rage when you can not keep a cool head here over nothing..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions