What's new

Carson City

sniffer

Gold Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
5,911
Reaction score
62
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore
please forgive me if this sounds dumb. But what makes Carson City mint special ?
I'm not much of a coin person, but I do like finding them.
Thx

Sniffer
 
Among other things they typically have a small mintage.



Read about the Carson City mint at this link:

"For numismatic devotees, coins of the Carson City Mint hold a special appeal. Long associated with romantic Wild West imagery, the thrill of owning rare coins made of gold or silver mined from the Comstock Lode is a slice of Americana every collector dreams about. Thanks to its unique place in history and a rich heritage of "CC" coins bequeathed to this and future generations, the memory of the Carson City Mint will rightfully live for ever more."

http://www.us-coin-values-advisor.com/carson-city-mint.html
 
Upvote 1
I didn't even think about that. I read a book about the Comstock Lode and just didn't put that together
 
Upvote 0
The original Carson City mint building now houses the state museum. Very cool place to visit with many, many artifacts from the Comstock glory days.
The original mint press still runs today using the original dies to produce souvenir Morgans. It runs once a month, maybe the third friday. The vault houses a complete collection of all the gold and silver coins minted there.

The original dies were buried in secret and were unearthed in the 90,s by a backhoe doing utility work nearby. There was a story I read about when they were uncovered the historical society cordoned off the area so they could keep metal detectorists out.

CC Morgans are my favorite coin and I have been collecting them for many years. If you are ever in Northern Nevada the mint and Virginia City are two must see locations.
 
Upvote 1
I think the "CC" mark, besides the history, just plain looks COOL :headbang: :headbang:. Tony
 
Upvote 0
DigginThePast said:
Among other things they typically have a small mintage.



Read about the Carson City mint at this link:

"For numismatic devotees, coins of the Carson City Mint hold a special appeal. Long associated with romantic Wild West imagery, the thrill of owning rare coins made of gold or silver mined from the Comstock Lode is a slice of Americana every collector dreams about. Thanks to its unique place in history and a rich heritage of "CC" coins bequeathed to this and future generations, the memory of the Carson City Mint will rightfully live for ever more."

http://www.us-coin-values-advisor.com/carson-city-mint.html
Excellent information
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom