Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, i have had this copper coin soaking for a far while and i finally got a round to posting it.It looks like a cart wheel penny and has the thick out-side edge .The head one it is King George 111 but can only make out the date 18!!!!!! and is ever worn down and has 2 deep corrision pits in it.The other side show the irsh harp and not much else,also very worn.Its about the same size as a token but bigger than english penny of the victorian era.Any ideas

t.p

Attachments

• iron005.jpg
    iron005.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 322
  • iron007.jpg
    iron007.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 306

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Tinpan, that's an Irish penny, with the English manarch on one side and the harp on the other. It was minted in Dublin, Ireland didn't mint their own coinage until the 1920s after Irish independence.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks dj,I found sometime a go in place called Irishtown which today is called bridge street,run along is the creek.

t.p

Upvote 0
D

dugupfinds

Cartwheel pennies were only produced for one year 1797.
They where exactly 1oz of copper as they wanted the copper to be worth its weight ie 1oz of copper costed a penny at the time.
They were to big & heavy & no-one liked them so they were later used as weights.
They were also the first Steam pressed coins ever minted in the world by Bolton & Watt who produced the first Rail Steam Engines.

dugupfinds

Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Nice find, WTG!!!
You would think that the raised rim would have save the center from being so warn?
Still a very nice though...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Nice one, Tinpan!

I think that your find may be a variety of Wellington halfpenny token issued by Irish merchant Edward Stephens, Merchants Stores, No. 35 James's Street, Dublin. If so, the lettering above the bust portrait would read, 'WELLINGTON"; beneath, "ERIN GO BRAGH" ("Ireland Forever"). On the reverse, above the Hibernian harp would be, "EDWD STEPHENS"; beneath, the date 1816. Here's a photo for comparison

Attachments

• Edw. St..JPG
    Edw. St..JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 229
Upvote 0
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk