What's new

Cartridge Info

I found a "EK" and a "ENK" both headstamps of The Greek Powder and Cartridge Co.
Athens, Greece
Maybe the same company had an earlier name in 1881? Maybe this will give you a starting point.
The case has a very unusual double recess...don't remember seeing one before.
 
Upvote 0
Reminds me of a .43 Egyptian a little, but with the front of the case missing I doubt anyone can tell? Monty
 
Upvote 0
That type of cartridge head is known as "embossed head" My guess was an attempt at better sealing of the rifle chamber.
 
Upvote 0
I believe I read somewhere that the cases had that strange head because those old long straight cases fired black powder or at least used corrosive primersr and they had a terrible problem of them sticking in the chamber. The extractor would pull the rim off the case and that left you holding a club! It helped strengthen the head and rim of the case. Our Army guys of the single shot .45/70 era all carried a pocket knife to pry cases out of the chamber. The old Springfields were terrible about that. Ask Custer! This one was definately fired and I can see the extractor mark on the rim. Looks like a single claw extractor while the old Mauser bolt actions had a double extractor. 1881 was a year leading up to the Greco-Turkish War and I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a Greek Army cartridge. However I haven't been able to find it listed anywhere. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom