hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, here's a good story! I was redetecting a field I've been to several times before. It produced a half dime and a large cent in the past so I knew it was an older site. This rang up and I kicked it around a few times wondering why it would ring up when it looked to be plastic or possibly glass? I finally picked it up and did the tooth tap to see if it was plastic. Nope. Glass? Not sure. I finally threw it in my pouch to look at later. When I looked at it later, I typed in "red stone pipe bowl" on google and saw a similar looking shape and color of a pipe made out of catlinite. Something I didn't know existed. This one's odd though. There's lead in the bottom plugging a hole and another hole higher up? Was it broken and repaired? Colonial? Native American? Modern? I showed it too my Mom who appreciates artifacts like I do. In fact she's the one who started me on a life long journey of seeking and finding. I love her! Lot's of good memories! She did some searching and saw where Native Americans would cut designs in them and fill them with lead. I took plenty of pics. I posted it here instead of "What Is It?" because I feel it is, "or was," some type of catlinite pipe. Possibly broken and repaired maybe? Not sure. Also a link of one I found online with a similar bowl. https://www.potomackcompany.com/auc...tone-pipe-mid-to-late-19th-century_8E54B91893

Attachments

• 20231207_005408.jpg
    20231207_005408.jpg
    904.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 20231207_005424.jpg
    20231207_005424.jpg
    818.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20231207_005253.jpg
    20231207_005253.jpg
    779.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 20231207_005951.jpg
    20231207_005951.jpg
    908.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 20231207_010027.jpg
    20231207_010027.jpg
    847 KB · Views: 60
  • 20231207_010006.jpg
    20231207_010006.jpg
    891.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 20231207_005711.jpg
    20231207_005711.jpg
    849.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Upvote 31
Hey guys, here's a good story! I was redetecting a field I've been to several times before. It produced a half dime and a large cent in the past so I knew it was an older site. This rang up and I kicked it around a few times wondering why it would ring up when it looked to be plastic or possibly glass? I finally picked it up and did the tooth tap to see if it was plastic. Nope. Glass? Not sure. I finally threw it in my pouch to look at later. When I looked at it later, I typed in "red stone pipe bowl" on google and saw a similar looking shape and color of a pipe made out of catlinite. Something I didn't know existed. This one's odd though. There's lead in the bottom plugging a hole and another hole higher up? Was it broken and repaired? Colonial? Native American? Modern? I showed it too my Mom who appreciates artifacts like I do. In fact she's the one who started me on a life long journey of seeking and finding. I love her! Lot's of good memories! She did some searching and saw where Native Americans would cut designs in them and fill them with lead. I took plenty of pics. I posted it here instead of "What Is It?" because I feel it is, "or was," some type of catlinite pipe. Possibly broken and repaired maybe? Not sure. Also a link of one I found online with a similar bowl. https://www.potomackcompany.com/auc...tone-pipe-mid-to-late-19th-century_8E54B91893
Nice!!! Congrats !!!

Yep, that’s catlinite. I can see the little pink spots. They indeed did use lead to make designs and, obviously from your pipe they used it for repairs. That’s a pretty rare find. Indians used catlinite from middle woodland times right through to modern times.
I'm glad I didn't pitch it. That red color looks so unatural to be a type of stone! I can see why they and others liked it. Once again, metal detecting teaches me something new. I'm glad I became a dig every signal guy! If it wasn't for the lead in the bowl it would still be in the field. :laughing7:

Very nice find. Most likely originated from the quarries around Pipestone, Minnesota. The repair done with lead seems logical. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipestone_National_Monument
Did you find it in Indiana?
Thanks! Yeah, but I was only a mile from the Illinois state line. In fact I had just left Illinois and decided to hit an old spot on the way home. I know the history is pretty awesome! I like how catlinite got it's name from George Catlin the famous 19th century painter who visited there. Lot's to read about!

Awesome find! Lead was the old school duct tape
Thanks! Yep, I might switch to lead instead of duct tape as well. Maybe they were on too something. :laughing7:

If the field gets plowed and after a rain surface hunt it for arrowheads too! Good luck, you have a good site here!

If the field gets plowed and after a rain surface hunt it for arrowheads too! Good luck, you have a good site here!
Thanks, I will. They're also one of the few farmers around who still deep plow every year so that's a plus.

a nice find for sure. Not seen too many catlinite pipes found in Indiana. Some Micmak pipes have been found in Indiana. One in my distant cousin's farm in Decatur County which I have now in my collection.
that which you found shows signs of being salvaged and repaired, used again. very nice. A nice find and good item for any collection.

a nice find for sure. Not seen too many catlinite pipes found in Indiana. Some Micmak pipes have been found in Indiana. One in my distant cousin's farm in Decatur County which I have now in my collection.
that which you found shows signs of being salvaged and repaired, used again. very nice. A nice find and good item for any collection.
Thanks! After much speculation, I agree it seems out of place. I found it on an old homesite. My instincts tell me it belonged to whomever originally lived there. They could've acquired it at some point during their travels or it was traded to them. A good pipe bowl would've been valuable early on I think. It's interesting to try to piece together a scenario.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back