Catlinite

Up-North

Nov 13, 2020
s.e. Minnesota’s driftless area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
s.e.Minnesota surface find, chunk of catlinite
You can clearly see the cut/ sawed lines and the snap
Most likely discarded. And the other half put to use 74356433-0CFB-4198-B474-CED596803CA7.jpeg CAB5EB59-FBDA-43C2-99CC-1CCF67E49D79.jpeg

Upvote 0

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,t know what catlinite is but it,s a pretty color and cool too.Where I live we got lots of dirt but you,ve got to import rocks if you want them.Think river delta,deep dirt.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know much about the process of making objects. I thought generally pipes and such were pecked it’s interesting that it looks like they were working it by sawing on it.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've never seen a raw chunk of Catlinite before. That one has been work over. Makes you wonder what they made from the piece that was removed

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting read on the name/artist of the stone.

[h=2]Some Pipestone History[/h]In 1836, American artist George Catlin - after whom Catlinite is named - recorded the Sioux legend of the origin of the pipestone as follows:

At an ancient time the Great Spirit, in the form of a large bird, stood upon the wall of rock and called all the tribes around him. Taking out a piece of the red stone, he formed it into a pipe and smoked it, the smoke rolling over the whole multitude. He then told his red children that this red stone was their flesh, that they were made from it, that they must all smoke to him through it, that they must use it for nothing but pipes: and as it belonged alike to all the tribes, the ground was sacred, and no weapons must be used or brought upon it.
The following information about the role of the ceremonial pipe fashioned from the sacred red pipestone among the plains Indians is from the book titled "Life and Adventures of Frank Grouard" by Joe DeBarthe, a newspaper correspondent and Grouard's biographer. Grouard was captured by the Sioux when he was nineteen years old and spent seven years with them living in the camps of the great chiefs Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse.
The pipe figured in each and every Indian ceremonial. When lit in council or during religious rites or when used at dances or feasts, it passed from left to right and never from right to left. It was usual for the chief or warrior lighting the pipe to offer some particular spirit the first draught of smoke, and the stem of the pipe was then held toward the different points of the compass, the sun, moon, stars, or any object to which the holder of the pipe desired to offer homage. This little ceremony was never omitted. Before passing the pipe to the neighbor on his left, each Indian inhaled as much smoke as his lung cavity permitted, and the smoke was afterward expelled at his pleasure. They used different pipes at the different ceremonials and would scorn to sanction the use of the council pipe in any other place or on any other occasion.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Interesting.
I live a couple dozen miles from Pipestone Mn., where the quarry is located.
I occasionally find a piece of it on sites I hunt.
I was surprised to read that only pipes were to be made from it, as I have seen other items that come from it.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting.
I live a couple dozen miles from Pipestone Mn., where the quarry is located.
I occasionally find a piece of it on sites I hunt.
I was surprised to read that only pipes were to be made from it, as I have seen other items that come from it.

Can we see?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting read on the name/artist of the stone.

[h=2]Some Pipestone History[/h]In 1836, American artist George Catlin - after whom Catlinite is named - recorded the Sioux legend of the origin of the pipestone as follows:

At an ancient time the Great Spirit, in the form of a large bird, stood upon the wall of rock and called all the tribes around him. Taking out a piece of the red stone, he formed it into a pipe and smoked it, the smoke rolling over the whole multitude. He then told his red children that this red stone was their flesh, that they were made from it, that they must all smoke to him through it, that they must use it for nothing but pipes: and as it belonged alike to all the tribes, the ground was sacred, and no weapons must be used or brought upon it.
The following information about the role of the ceremonial pipe fashioned from the sacred red pipestone among the plains Indians is from the book titled "Life and Adventures of Frank Grouard" by Joe DeBarthe, a newspaper correspondent and Grouard's biographer. Grouard was captured by the Sioux when he was nineteen years old and spent seven years with them living in the camps of the great chiefs Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse.
The pipe figured in each and every Indian ceremonial. When lit in council or during religious rites or when used at dances or feasts, it passed from left to right and never from right to left. It was usual for the chief or warrior lighting the pipe to offer some particular spirit the first draught of smoke, and the stem of the pipe was then held toward the different points of the compass, the sun, moon, stars, or any object to which the holder of the pipe desired to offer homage. This little ceremony was never omitted. Before passing the pipe to the neighbor on his left, each Indian inhaled as much smoke as his lung cavity permitted, and the smoke was afterward expelled at his pleasure. They used different pipes at the different ceremonials and would scorn to sanction the use of the council pipe in any other place or on any other occasion.

Nice bit of legend and lore pepperj,i didn,t know that and it,s a wonderful read.Thank you.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Can we see?

sure thing. Here is a few pieces of raw material I picked up.
attachment.php

and here are a few pieces I’ve acquired.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• B9A1FCFA-A1A9-4351-A9F5-5A13798FF244.jpeg
    B9A1FCFA-A1A9-4351-A9F5-5A13798FF244.jpeg
    925.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 20ED4E88-D4ED-46B6-A294-31A57092D9EC.jpeg
    20ED4E88-D4ED-46B6-A294-31A57092D9EC.jpeg
    997.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 6C5D5224-A2D4-45EF-877C-C2F701982D8E.jpeg
    6C5D5224-A2D4-45EF-877C-C2F701982D8E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74