Celt Preform

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this Celt preform at the river. It’s been pecked all over but they hadn’t started on the bit. Made from a fine grained igneous rock called diabase. This rock was a favorite for celts and axes in my area.
IMG_4372.jpeg
IMG_4373.jpeg
IMG_4374.jpeg
IMG_4375.jpeg

IMG_4376.jpeg

Here’s another pic at a low angle to show the pecking.
IMG_4377.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 11

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Nice example
I believe lots of the preforms we find were used for one thing (like a pestle) then turned into something else as the shape changed.

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice example
I believe lots of the preforms we find were used for one thing (like a pestle) then turned into something else as the shape changed.
That’s true. We find river smoothed stones on campsites with a dimple on one or both sides. We call them anvil stones. I’ve seen celts made from anvil stones that still had the dimple showing.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not doubting what you say because you find a lot of hard stone but a sincere question, why would you have a hardstone preform, a biface I can understand you knock it into a rough shape to cut weight but don’t waste time switching tools and techniques to finish it, but with hardstone why stop pecking so close to the end? Is it for flexibility to decide the finished product Celt or adze or pestle?

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not doubting what you say because you find a lot of hard stone but a sincere question, why would you have a hardstone preform, a biface I can understand you knock it into a rough shape to cut weight but don’t waste time switching tools and techniques to finish it, but with hardstone why stop pecking so close to the end? Is it for flexibility to decide the finished product Celt or adze or pestle?
I think the difference is the time it takes to complete it. Even a large flint knife only takes an hour or two to make at most. A Celt like this, depending on how close the original rock was to the size of the finished artifact, would take 10-20 hrs to finish. Also, since we have so much hardstone here, it’s possible it was pecked to this point for a trade item. That’s just a guess though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread