What's new

Central America Double Eagle

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2018
Messages
9,207
Reaction score
33,194
Golden Thread
0
Location
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently purchased a dandy double eagle from a coin shop on Long Island NY.
IMG_2873.webp


It was shipped FedEx priority overnight. The coin made it to the Memphis hub then disappeared.😩 I couldn’t believe it and was really disappointed. After a while the coin shop contacted me about a refund. The owner mentioned he had another Central America $20 but it was one grade lower than the lost coin. My eyes didn’t see a whole lot of difference so I went ahead and took it. This time, FedEx came through and delivered it yesterday. Shout out to Long Island Rare Coins for taking care of me. I’m beyond thrilled to be able to own a coin from the Central America. CA gold rush gold, the second year of the San Francisco mint, and recovered from the shipwreck.👍🏻
IMG_3250.webp
IMG_3252.webp
IMG_3251.webp
 
that's a really beautiful historical piece. I imagine it's even more awesome to look at in person. I just recently read a news article about coin shipments disappearing in transit. No doubt some dishonest employees within some of the shipping companies who have learned to spot coin shipments. I hope they are caught and brought to justice. Although a hassle, it seems to me one approach to shipping them would be to take them to a non descript 3rd party for pick up and perhaps even disguise the box as "childrens coloring books" or some such.
 
I recently purchased a dandy double eagle from a coin shop on Long Island NY. View attachment 2250978

It was shipped FedEx priority overnight. The coin made it to the Memphis hub then disappeared.😩 I couldn’t believe it and was really disappointed. After a while the coin shop contacted me about a refund. The owner mentioned he had another Central America $20 but it was one grade lower than the lost coin. My eyes didn’t see a whole lot of difference so I went ahead and took it. This time, FedEx came through and delivered it yesterday. Shout out to Long Island Rare Coins for taking care of me. I’m beyond thrilled to be able to own a coin from the Central America. CA gold rush gold, the second year of the San Francisco mint, and recovered from the shipwreck.👍🏻View attachment 2250979View attachment 2250980View attachment 2250981
Great the shop stepped up and sent you another coin!

Maybe you can update your other thread about the first coin missing in shipping?

 
Great the shop stepped up and sent you another coin!

Maybe you can update your other thread about the first coin missing in shipping?

Good idea! I put a link in that thread to this one. I don’t know how to add anything to the thread title.
 
THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!! I bought a gold coin, FEDEX tracked to Memphis.... DISAPPEARED! It was insured, but holy hell I hate FEDEX... they have screwed up for me 5 times in the last 6 deliveries. UPS? always great, Amazon? same thing... FEDEX? its a crap shoot! There is some BS happening there for sure!
 
THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!! I bought a gold coin, FEDEX tracked to Memphis.... DISAPPEARED! It was insured, but holy hell I hate FEDEX... they have screwed up for me 5 times in the last 6 deliveries. UPS? always great, Amazon? same thing... FEDEX? its a crap shoot! There is some BS happening there for sure!
Yeah, Memphis has a little problem.
IMG_3191.webp
 
Nice looking coin, it's a shame what happened to the first one, but I'm glad the coin shop took care of you and sent a replacement. Like Unclemac said above, I would use UPS over all the rest any day, but then again I'm biased because I'm a retired UPS Delivery driver who had almost 30 years in the Brown truck delivering packages.
 
A GREAT piece of history !
 
Nice looking coin, it's a shame what happened to the first one, but I'm glad the coin shop took care of you and sent a replacement. Like Unclemac said above, I would use UPS over all the rest any day, but then again I'm biased because I'm a retired UPS Delivery driver who had almost 30 years in the Brown truck delivering packages.
...seriously UPS is the best! no one else even come close... I am willing to bet unionization is a big factor too... better working conditions attract and keep better employees.
 
Update: I was contacted by the coin shop on LI. The missing coin was returned. Not by FedEx, but by the Post Office! The outer FedEx box was gone. Inside was another box with my name and the coin shop return address. Evidently someone took the inner box to a post office and turned it in. It went back to LI NY with postage due.😊 The inner box was damaged and the slab the coin was in was cracked or broken. They will send it back to PCGS for a new slab. I have no idea how this could have happened. 🤷🏼 FedEx really dropped the ball (or the box!) on this one.
 
that truly makes no sense....
 
I feel for the Shop that has to go make a claim with FedEx. I just received payment for a claim that was 5 months old. I'm an eBayer and spent over $10,000 a year on shipping. FedEx will no longer be an option for my buyers!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom