Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Dannyg

Not quite central california but I have a treasure legend from Marys-ville, Yuba City if your interested?

Crow

OP
OP
dannyg

dannyg

Dec 28, 2013
slo county california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright good leta hear the marysville story and the pinnacles story. I havent heard either of those. Mission san miguel and Joaquin murrieta ive read before. id really like to go detecting at the mission one day. And as far as the mission mines. There is a local story on it the los padres silver mine. Im researching it currently and a friend of mine may have already found it.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
dannyg:

There's quite a bit of information on the "Lost Padres Mine" right here on TN!

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
dannyg

dannyg

Dec 28, 2013
slo county california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to list a few of the main stories that im aware of are: the avila beach bandit cave, the los padres silver mine, sir francis drake possibly landed in pirates cove, mission slo de tolosa gold cache lost on either bishops peak, or san luis peak. There are a few more lost caches that i cant remember the details fully. But these are the main stories of the local central coast. Does anyone have anything to add?

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ia Orana Dannyg

Sorry I have not replied sooner as I have been taken away with gentle swaying rhythms of Hula Girls in Tahiti. If you could see the grin I have you would see I have a grin so big from ear to ear to the point my ugly big buff head will split in two. :laughing7:

To hell with being Pious I intend to die growing old disgracefully....:laughing7: Like all old pirates should.

The Legend my friend, I mentioned in Marysville is all yours or anyone else willing to pursue as I have no intention of ever returning to the United States. So perhaps the following story may be worth looking a little deeper into. It is possibly worth 1 million to 1.3 million depending on quality of Gold double eagle coins dating from the early 1850's.

Of course like all legends due diligence is needed in researching such legends. Research with the head and not the heart. So please forgive me and be patient as I will post more about it soon again, as I run on native time now....As they say Polynesia no rush as tomorrow always comes...and my Polynesian flower awaits. Perhaps the real treasure of this world?

A hui kaua Crow

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ia Orana Danyg and Loke

You may be surprised how many PMs I have had regarding those spare bunks.

For me personally I am always amazed at the obsessive interest by many people on treasurenet with the very famous treasure legends. While the less well known and obscure stories hardly get a second glance?

Information of treasure legends can be gleaned from various sources. Once such source is Newspapers. However like all Newspaper sources they are as only good as the quality of the newspaper reporter writing them. Stories can be written about places and event in another countries as information can travel through various channels. The Following story was reported in the Adelaide Register Australia Friday 30 April 1926. It pertains to story of hidden gold coins buried near Marysville and Yuba City in California.

There is more than 4,000 dollars in gold coin buried in the vicinity of Marysville and Yuba City, that gold. being in; United States coin and having been buried for nearly three-quarters of a century, according to J. A. Brickey, of Macona, Texas.

1850 Double eagle.JPG

Sheriff Charles J. McCoy has received a letter from 'Brickney in connection with the gold and its possible recovery. Brickney declares that his stepfather went to California in the' early 1850s, sold a herd of cattle he had driven across the plains from his home in Fort Smith, Arkansas, buried the money because of fear- of Indians and early day bandits, and then returned to his home. He never went back to California. And he told Brickney of the buried treasure just before he died. . . ;

The Sheriff's Responded The Texan appears to be certain that the 'money, all in 20 dollar gold, pieces, is still in the spot where his stepfather buried' it. His letter carried an assurance that it has not been moved. The- exact, sum, he says, is 4,300 dollars. He states that he is going to California to make his -home and 'asks ' Sheriff Mc Coy, what percentage he will ask to dig up the buried treasure.?

McCoy- stated that if Brickney can tell him within a few feet of where the money is he will have it dug up and turned over to the Texan without cost.

There have been numerous tales handed down by old-timers in this section of buried treasure, and at different times there have been rather aimless efforts to dig it up. Some of the very old residents believe that the Brickney gold is here, and is one of the buried treasures which caused the stories to be handed down.

Was there any truth to such a story or is there more to the story?

Perhaps, but like with all treasure legends there is an old Army saying time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted in treasure hunting time spent in research is seldom wasted. And this was a story that warranted a little further digging.'

The Register Friday 30 April 1926, page 9.jpg

To be continued.

Crow

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be surprised how many PMs I have had regarding those spare bunks.
You mean to say that there actually _are_ available bunks? When's the next plane out? And no - I would not be surprised in the least ;-)

S

stefen

There are a lot of data especially surrounding the SLO mission downtown...yur sitting on more history and caches than any other area in mid-California.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
In researching the story. We need to dig deep into past history to see if the story was plausible.

I have managed to find an historic photograph of Marysville dating back to 1856.

GoldenEagleHotelMarysville.jpg

The original town of Marysville burnt down in 1851 as per illustration.

MarysvilleFireLitho.jpg

Marystown was a hub of activity in the early years of the gold rush providing supplies. Cattle was one such commodity that would of been needed to supply the gold fields with supply of food for the influx on miners.
As per picture below the sale of cattle was essential in the supply of food to the 49ers. Prices for cattle would of been high. So the story of selling cattle in the story is plausible.

designall_0021 MARYSVILLE small.jpg

So from the initial picture we are building a profile of legend.

And for now the story of selling cattle at Marysville stands up to historic facts.

Next we need a deeper look into the story in regards to the major players of the marysville story.

to be continued

Crow

Last edited:
OP
OP
dannyg

dannyg

Dec 28, 2013
slo county california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounding good so far. Ive heard Montana de oro has some artifacts to be metal detected back in the canyons. Thought id share that here. Ill find out more when i see the local guy again. Best to all=]

OP
OP
dannyg

dannyg

Dec 28, 2013
slo county california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey loke lets look for the marysville cache and get our own bunks on a yacht sailing next to crow. Well split her down the middle and be floating with coconuts and little umbrella in them. Ha!

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The love Tub is a bit of a spew bucket in big seas. I prefer as most of the crew to in sleep in Mexican hammocks as it is cooler than the cabins with cramped bunks. Especially in the tropics. So hot here at the moment I prefer to sleep on deck in a hammock with just a tarp as roof over the boom. And even if it gets a little chilli in the evening there is always a Vahine to share the hammock with.

Now you better get back to finding that treasure my fine pair of pirates If ya want to get your hands on the booties then you need to find the booty.

The following newspaper give a good indication of the lawlessness around Marysville in the 1850;s. So It is not beyond the realms of possibility that a cache was hidden because of the fear of Indians and bandits. The Following Farmers country Journal give a good account of the lawlessness around Marysville in the decade of the 1850's. it is one article of many others

California Farmer and Journal of Useful Sciences, Volume 6, Number 4, 15 August 1856 — Attempted.jpg

Most of the story sound reasonably plausible. Cattleman being paid handsomely in gold coin for much wanted cattle realizes the dangers and decided to bury his payment to avoid being robbed. The era and place could definatly been a driving factor for the plant.

As researching any such legend one have to fully identify the key players in the the story.

To be continued.

Crow

Attachments

• berth3.jpg
    berth3.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 333

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Looking deeper into the Key players i found and confirmed the existence of the men mentioned in the Newspaper story. Charles J Mc Coy was a sheriff at Marysville in the 1920's. As per newspaper story. He appeard to live with his 80 year mother in law at the time of 1920 census. However it appears he and his wife by 1930 inherited his mother in laws home. Other than that where appears so signs of extra wealth in later census. the house they lived in today does not exist as the site has been redeveloped. Clearly J A Bickney never sent him enough details to find the alleged treasure.

1920UnitedStatesFederalCensusForCharlesJMcCoy s.jpg

James A Bickney was a laborer who travels around to find work. He was listed in the 1920 census with a wife Hanna B.

1920UnitedStatesFederalCensusForJamesABrickey s.jpg

So the principle players in this treasure legend did exist.

To be continued....

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The mystery remains of the identity of James A Bickney's step father?

Did James take on his step fathers last name? Or was his step father had another surname.

James A Bickney as his wife are not shown anywhere in the 1930 census. Charles J Mc Coy lived in the family home right up into late 1940,s. There was no record of him having children so no family history passed on down the family unless he passed info onto nieces and nephews? So it appears by the 1930s the story was forgotten?

marysville.jpg

The settlement of Marysville has in itself as all American settlements gone through their evolution over the 160 years. So without key directions the treasure story would seem quite dead in the water.

Or is it?

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem we have is any defining clues to the location of this alleged treasure or the exact identity of James A Bickney's step father.

The only Bickney I found in the records was a William Bickney who served as a confederate in the civil war who was listed in 1860 as a farmer. It was not entirely a convincing match as there was not enough evidence to be sure. Leaving us at risk of speculating.

One thing we should take note of is Marysville and yuba city was perhaps a generalization of the area and not the exact location with in the old city limits?

One thing with treasure legends they can evolve and blend into two separate legends and also so the same legend can in the retelling split and seem like an entirely different legend?

There is a another vague story from the Area is the clues given in that story actually clues for this story?

to be cont....

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a historic map of the area.

txu-pclmaps-topo-ca-marysville-1886 s.jpg

This map dates from around 1880 and Gives a good picture of the surrounding area.

Like with many towns and cities in America what was once farmland is now suburbs as towns and cities grew. One of the biggest dangers to buried treasure progress as once well known land marks are obliterated by re-development. So in some respects many treasures buried on the fringes of towns in the 19th century are buied under the suburbs of the 21st century.

The following newspaper article in my next post may or may not be connected at all to this treasure story But a dilligent researcher might be able to trace that site through old land records? As over time two legends might be two seperate partly acurate versions of the same tale? One story gave the real identity of person involved and the other made mention of the supposed location? It would in my belief a fair lead to follow up on.

To be continued.

Crow

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread