What's new

Certain Metal Detectors.

dtidwell

Greenie
Joined
Jun 18, 2016
Messages
14
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Location
Altoona, Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have did some research last night for 6-8 hours while at work. I have recently read about the knobbed detectors are actual better then the others. From my understanding, it does take practice but once you learn the difference in the beeps it's actually much better to use. Can someone give me advice on this and experience in the knobbed detectors over the others? I'm thinking about getting a knobbed detector, even though I'm still trying to figure out which name brand to start out with.
 
Do you mean knob to use as ID?

I have 2 different machines from the same company that is gone.

One has 2 tone, and you turn the tone break knob to see where the tone switches, for the ID

The other one is lighted Icons for the ID, and one tone.

These machines have excellent audio. The signals have so much info if you learn it.

I sometimes prefer the single tone because a dual tone can give a split tone that sounds like a false, if you're not concentrating. Split tones can be adjusted to help.

So, I'd say any machine that has a poor audio, but fancy screen info, is not for me. I listen on youtube and I can't believe some of the units out there, as far as choppy broken and split tones on good targets. I hope mine never break, as I can't find a new one I like yet
 
well first of all, do you feel ok with using time you are paid to work to search personal stuff? ( if you are a government employee it's ok)
 
One thing to keep in mind is, there are people out there that cannot ever hear the subtle variations in an analog-tone machine. Reason is the same as why some people can't see different colors. When going through in-processing for the USAF (yes, they really DID have planes back then! :tongue3:), they showed us these cards that had lots of colored dots, and within these dots were numbers made up of dots. I could clearly see the different dots, yet even after having a number pointed out to me, still could not make out the outline. Needless to say, they didn't let me anywhere near a jet!

The digital machines start out creating an analog signal, just like the oldest detectors out there. Where the newer machines are different is that they use digital electronics to try to help people understand what it (the detector) is sensing in the ground. The more bells and whistles, the more $$. Two of the best and most powerful detectors out there are the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero, both of which have been in production for a very long time. They can get as deep as virtually any other detector out there...at least up to a point. Once you learn the language of a tone(s)-only detector, providing your hearing can distinguish, you can competitively match up against most other detectors costing much more. But like anything else, in the end it all boils down to the user. A hurried user with a $5,000 detector will find MUCH less than the careful, well-trained ear using a less-expensive Tesoro or other. Likewise, switch that around and you'll see why there are so many great finds with the newer digital detectors. Every detector out there will detect, but in the end, it ALL boils down to the user.

The last thing I'd like to point out is, what kind of person are you? Are you someone who likes flash and bling and high-tech wonders? Or are you a less-flashy person who prefers low-tech? If you can afford a $5k detector, go for it. A machine like that will make things much easier. If you're on a budget or if you're unsure if you will keep up with this hobby into the future, then look at a very popular detector, as they will be easier to sell if you choose to. And lastly, consider the weight of the detectors you look at. A difference of a pound over an 8-hour period could mean moving more than an extra TON of weight in just a single day.

1 ton = 2,000 lbs. If you swing a detector continuously 1 time per second, that's 60 swings per minute, or 3,600 swings per hour. A machine weighing 1 lb. more will cause you to swing over 1.5 tons more every hour! (assuming you're swinging and not digging!)
 
One thing to keep in mind is, there are people out there that cannot ever hear the subtle variations in an analog-tone machine. Reason is the same as why some people can't see different colors. When going through in-processing for the USAF (yes, they really DID have planes back then! :tongue3:), they showed us these cards that had lots of colored dots, and within these dots were numbers made up of dots. I could clearly see the different dots, yet even after having a number pointed out to me, still could not make out the outline. Needless to say, they didn't let me anywhere near a jet!

The digital machines start out creating an analog signal, just like the oldest detectors out there. Where the newer machines are different is that they use digital electronics to try to help people understand what it (the detector) is sensing in the ground. The more bells and whistles, the more $$. Two of the best and most powerful detectors out there are the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero, both of which have been in production for a very long time. They can get as deep as virtually any other detector out there...at least up to a point. Once you learn the language of a tone(s)-only detector, providing your hearing can distinguish, you can competitively match up against most other detectors costing much more. But like anything else, in the end it all boils down to the user. A hurried user with a $5,000 detector will find MUCH less than the careful, well-trained ear using a less-expensive Tesoro or other. Likewise, switch that around and you'll see why there are so many great finds with the newer digital detectors. Every detector out there will detect, but in the end, it ALL boils down to the user.

The last thing I'd like to point out is, what kind of person are you? Are you someone who likes flash and bling and high-tech wonders? Or are you a less-flashy person who prefers low-tech? If you can afford a $5k detector, go for it. A machine like that will make things much easier. If you're on a budget or if you're unsure if you will keep up with this hobby into the future, then look at a very popular detector, as they will be easier to sell if you choose to. And lastly, consider the weight of the detectors you look at. A difference of a pound over an 8-hour period could mean moving more than an extra TON of weight in just a single day.

1 ton = 2,000 lbs. If you swing a detector continuously 1 time per second, that's 60 swings per minute, or 3,600 swings per hour. A machine weighing 1 lb. more will cause you to swing over 1.5 tons more every hour! (assuming you're swinging and not digging!)

sorry for the late reply, I have been very sick the passed couple days, but I like to take things slowly, and I'm OCD and a perfectionist. I'd rather go slow then just swinging a MD around. I like to make sure I get everything possible I can get. I'm also more on a budget, and start out getting the right kind of equipment and see what I can do with it. My lady is also wanting to get into as we would use this as time together and bring along out little one. So, like a family outting as well. I don't like bling and flashy things when it comes to the equipment, even though I want to use the right equipment.
 
well first of all, do you feel ok with using time you are paid to work to search personal stuff? ( if you are a government employee it's ok)

I mainly look up things when I can. I'm more focused on my job when I'm at work. Now when everyone is locked down I can look up things much easier. If that's what you are asking. Yes I'm a government employee.
 
Do you mean knob to use as ID?

I have 2 different machines from the same company that is gone.

One has 2 tone, and you turn the tone break knob to see where the tone switches, for the ID

The other one is lighted Icons for the ID, and one tone.

These machines have excellent audio. The signals have so much info if you learn it.

I sometimes prefer the single tone because a dual tone can give a split tone that sounds like a false, if you're not concentrating. Split tones can be adjusted to help.

So, I'd say any machine that has a poor audio, but fancy screen info, is not for me. I listen on youtube and I can't believe some of the units out there, as far as choppy broken and split tones on good targets. I hope mine never break, as I can't find a new one I like yet

Yes, the ones that use knobs to ID objects. Just from what I have read, once you learn the differences, the knobbed machines are actually much better.
 
Alabama has some conductive and mineralised clays and soils. I strongly suggest you get a machine with manual ground balance. The Tesoro Vaquero runs $450 new, and around $300 used. Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.

I'm trying to convince my wife on the 9x8 one. I take that it's more concentrated on a small area, since I will be taking things slowly anyways and not be in any type of rush. What do you think?
 
I'm trying to convince my wife on the 9x8 one. I take that it's more concentrated on a small area, since I will be taking things slowly anyways and not be in any type of rush. What do you think?

The stock 9" x 8" coil is Great, no worries! I have seen a couple used Vaquero units for sale here in the classifieds - including one of my extra machines ($320-shipped).
 
The stock 9" x 8" coil is Great, no worries! I have seen a couple used Vaquero units for sale here in the classifieds - including one of my extra machines ($320-shipped).

ah ok thanks. I definitely need to look in the classifieds here. I'm going to practice using it in the back yard by planting different kinds of metals. Bury them at different depths.
 
Here's what looks to be a great information resource page on search coils:
Truth About Search Coils

Looks like 20 pages of reading! WOW!!
 
Here's what looks to be a great information resource page on search coils:
Truth About Search Coils

Looks like 20 pages of reading! WOW!!

I've got the time ha, thanks for the read! I will definitely be reading this! Anything to help me get the right equipment and learn more about this so I won't be missing out on the good stuff. Thank you!
 
Metal detecting is simple. A detector beeps or buzzes and you dig up the metal object. The more signals you dig, the more cool stuff you will find regardless of type or cost of detector. Many good things are passed over by those who use discriminate, but they feel good about not digging iron junk. Patience is key to this game, and there are NO detectors that can tell the difference between a gold ring and an aluminum pull tab. If your ears are good you will learn to "tell" with a certain accuracy what your machine sees, but All detectors and people who use them get fooled fairly often.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom