Chains Attached Canon balls

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gare
Very interesting post

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard that some tried this but not much success . i was wondering if anyone else had any info on this

Apr 7, 2024
Has anyone ever found canon balls with chains attached to them ?I understand that in the Civil war Some canons were fired with two canon balls inside attached by several feet of chains connecting the two ?
They were used to tear down enemy ship masts and to take down wagons and other items that they did not want to blow to pieces so they could get the cargo ! They were also used to take out horses and mules that were pulling wagons of supplies or charging cavalry !

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
They were used to tear down enemy ship masts and to take down wagons and other items that they did not want to blow to pieces so they could get the cargo ! They were also used to take out horses and mules that were pulling wagons of supplies or charging cavalry !
Absolutely horrific having these fired at you.
they where used also during the English civil war circa 1641-50. And where especially dreaded by lines of advancing infantrymen for obvious reasons. Doesnt bare thinking about what one of these would do being blasted through a crowd

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have any pictures ?

TDogger

Jan 22, 2016
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Freedom III, Garrett ADS Groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More info. It was also used in naval battles. The goal was to take the masts out so the ship could not escape.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARC and Tdogger thank you for replying. I had read some where some were connected by 6 to 8 feet of chain
I just wonder if anyone ever found any of these ?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These double barreled cannon were tried, but failed miserably. The problem was having both barrels fire at exactly the same time, resulting in horrendous effects. There was said to be one or two instances where these guns were tried and one barrel fired just before the other resulting in the shells or balls firing backwards and to the rear beheading some members of the guns crew. One of these guns is or at least was in Atens, Ga. on display.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread