Change Purse

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
Well, I was fortunate enough to find my very first change purse--and it wasn't empty; more good fortune!

I use a DFX so it rang up at 92-93 on one side and 88-90 on the other side. That wasn't typical of the nails I had been sweeping over in correlate mode 92-94 with 45 bouncing in and out. So with a shrug I dug it, thinking it was some weird bent nail. The DFX told me 4 inches, and I got down there with the DX-1 and it told me I hadn't dug deep enough. I went wider and deeper just in case it turned out to be something good; sure enough, it was!

I didn't know what I had except two very large pieces of silver! The other coins didn't get my attention yet.

You can see bits of the canvas purse remaining on and around the coins. That's the black, felt-like material that looks like dirt in the camera phone photos--it was pretty much disintegrated.
My immediate thought was pocket spill, but after pulling the two Morgans (1896O & 1881O), the V Nickel (1906), two Mercs (both 1917) and a couple of early wheats (that's all that were in the purse). The top of the purse was down below where the coins were.

Now this is my first BIG silver mind you, so I could hardly keep the camera still! Before this my largest silver was a quarter--I really don't think about finding halves or dollars, so it's not even on my radar. So when these two popped out I was shocked (very happily shocked)!

Thanks for looking and happy hunting to you all!

Attachments

• IMG00082.jpg
    IMG00082.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG00085.jpg
    IMG00085.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 400
  • 27Jun09FindsBeforeCleanupObv.jpg
    27Jun09FindsBeforeCleanupObv.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 421
  • 27Jun09FindsAfterCleanupObv.jpg
    27Jun09FindsAfterCleanupObv.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 416
  • 1881OMorganObv.jpg
    1881OMorganObv.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 424
  • 1896OMorganObv.jpg
    1896OMorganObv.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 408
  • DSC01849.jpg
    DSC01849.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 406
  • 1906VNickObv.jpg
    1906VNickObv.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG00081.jpg
    IMG00081.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 419
Upvote 0

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
What a fabulous find. Oh, if that purse could talk. I cannot imagine the heartbreak someone suffered once they realized they had lost it.

Like the others, I agree the monetary value may not be great. But, Banner for sure....

I wish my nail beeps would turn out as good as yours !!!

Congrats...

Brian in MA

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
another reason to dig even when it dont sound to hot.................A W S O M E !!!!!!!!!!!!!! simply stunning find :icon_thumleft:

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
A BAnner vote from me!!! Awesome indeed, what a load of silver!! Congratulations!!

deepbeep

Jun 11, 2009
Bolivar, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Wow! Great find! I have to agree....banner. Some won't agree....the value isn't that high....but this is a find that you will never repeat in many, many years. In my book, that is a banner. (my first banner vote)

deepbeep

Jun 11, 2009
Bolivar, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I am betting this was lost by a wealthy business man. Explains the asian coins from world trade. He could afford to loose it, or he wouldn't have been toting that kind of money around. He had two weeks pay in that change purse!

Tim

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I found mine I thought 14 Indian head pennies was a home run :headbang: :thumbsup:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweeeeeeeet finds - congrats!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
That is so cool. It makes me wonder about the gal that lost a night of sleep or two over that purse. Two silver dollars in the same hole, thats a banner find for sure.

M

michigan michael

:o Wow! that is one beautiful dig! I would almost bet that was someones coin collection. So sad for them.....So glad for you! Congrats!

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Thanks for taking us along on your coin purse find. Wow,that's a find I think we all dream about,cool how the 81 Morgan has the silhouette of a merc on the front of it. Banner :icon_thumleft:
Jerry

OP
OP
ggossage

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
Thanks for the votes everyone! Butch, I can't make out much detail on the seal...one side says Limited, the other side is fairly worn and corroded...what I can read goes something like this:

No ___
Genuine
Unless bear__
__ label w_____
_orate s____
__n obverse....

Sorry I can't get you more detail.

gg

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
What an awesome find, every coin is great, two Morgans, wow and that Chinese cash is unique also. Congrats!

Smiles!
BDoo

Hardrock

May 25, 2004
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, with sunray probe,Minelab SE,Eureka Gold
Nice Find,the token is great,the dollars awesome, the others add to it, BANNER,is the stick pin silver? Just wondered,excellent. Hardrock :thumbsup:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was not going to Reply to this because you had so many but. That's just the coolest find I have seen in a long time. I had to reply and nominate for banner. :headbang: :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH!! ;D :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions