What's new

Charleston River Find- Fossil Vertebrae?

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2014
Messages
3,712
Reaction score
5,634
Golden Thread
5
Location
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

I recovered this fossilized vertebrae along a tidal river in Charleston, SC. I have found a number of megalodon teeth here in the past and am wondering if the vertical cut may be the result of an attack? Any idea who this fossil may have belonged to?

20150908_200419_resized.webp20150908_200438_resized.webp20150908_200450_resized.webp20150908_200512_resized.webp20150908_200517_resized.webp
 
nice vertebra! The "cut" is just a normal dip in the bone. I can't help with an ID though.
 
I just found one similar in PA. I'll post pics tomorrow.
 
Looks like alligator to me with several pieces broken off
 
If it has a certain ball and socket shape to it, the yes alligator
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom