invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All, I uncovered a pronged disk about 2.75" in diameter and accompanying stud-like object with the words "CHASE BRASS" stamped on it. I seek the identity and approximate date this relic was manufactured, as they will be included in an educational display case that will be donated to a local historical society. They were found on what was once a farm road so may be related to 19th - early 20th century transportation (horse saddle, bridle, wagon, or buggy). The four sharp prongs indicate that the disk was once seated into softer material (i.e. wood, leather). The threads of the stud-like object won’t screw into anything, but maybe were designed to cause friction and possibly keep the disk centered.

Prior to posting it I also showed the relic to land surveyors, thinking it may be a survey or right-of-way marker. That does not appear to be the case. I also showed it to furniture manufacturers, refinishers, and upholsterers, who couldn’t identify as a furniture ornament or leg slide. I’ve taken it to hardware stores who’s staff have no idea. I’ve also looked at 1000s of photos on-line without a match (ordnance shells, saddle rosettes, lamp base, etc.). I contacted Chase Brass and Copper who shared the description and photos with some collectors and old timers in the factory who hadn’t seen anything like it. One of the collectors suggested contacting the Mattatuck Museum (in Waterbury, CN where Chase began). I looked through the museum on-line database and found no match. The museum also has a research department who I'm waiting to hear from. In the meantime, can anyone of the forum ID and/or date this mystery object?

Attachments

• 1-Front_assembled.jpg
    1-Front_assembled.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 75
  • 2-Front_disassembled.jpg
    2-Front_disassembled.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 81
  • 3-Reverse_assembled.jpg
    3-Reverse_assembled.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 60
  • 4-Reverse_disassembled.jpg
    4-Reverse_disassembled.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 69
  • 5-Logo_close-up.jpg
    5-Logo_close-up.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 58

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first thought was 'pincushion base'.

It looks about the right size to be mounted on a sewing bird.

41Tba7iXjhL._SX355_.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks DCMatt, that is a possibility I haven't considered, but will look into.

The Archivist at the Mattatuck Museum couldn't ID or date it. Their catalogs only contain the art deco products from the 1930s.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC, this is an interesting possibility, it even has the Chase Brass centaur logo on the right piece, which was introduced to the public in October 6, 1928. Where is the photo from?

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC, this is an interesting possibility, it even has the Chase Brass centaur logo on the right piece, which was introduced to the public in October 6, 1928. Where is the photo from?

The internet :)

Hmmm not sure... Letme see... I wanna post another for you.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Err I cannot find a picture of one without an actual grave... which as odd it may come across... I will not post a pic of "someones" grave out of respect.

But... I will describe to you what IT MAY be...

On a flat headstone there is usually a bronze plaque which states the name(S) of the deceased buried there...
above the name is an object LIKE yours pictured ...
It is a thingy ma jig that is used to prop a flower through the hole...

This same thingy comes in many types and is even capable of having a removable "vase"... also bronze.

This reminds me of what you have.

I personally have never found one myself... but have seen them... and they resemble your item.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC, I know what your referring to. I found something similar to your picture minus a grave called a "Vintage Chase USA Art Deco Chrome Four Tube Bud Vase". Because it also shows the centaur logo, it dates later than my find. So mine may just be an older version. Will run to ground and see. Thanks again!

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all who offered their input. I intend to mark this topic solved. Not that it is, but because I discovered that prior to 1930 (when Chase opened the specialties division), they manufactured brass component parts used in everything from brass beds to electric sockets to bird cage springs. So the relic may simply be a component for a product made by another company. Without figuring out what it is a component of or finding a component catalog, identification is very difficult.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions