🥇 BANNER Chasing the dozer's and popping cherries, First US Gold Coin 1853-0 + a little Seated

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well tonight I finally dug my first gold coin, and it only took 7+ years.
I have been hunting a street tear-out the last 2 weekends, and recently they have started bringing in the limestone.
I couldn't wait until the weekend to get back over there, because I was afraid the backfill would be completed due to heavy rains predicted for this Saturday.
I normally don't night hunt, but I just had to make sure I could hit this spot at least one more time.
So I get over there this afternoon, and sure enough they are moving dirt. The whole stretch is almost completely covered up with crushed stone.
The workers were gone at dark. This site is in the downtown district. So the chatter is bad.
I decided to run 18k to help with the noise. I do not run 18k a lot, but it helps quiet things down, and with all the talk about hi frequencies lately, I figured why not Max the 9" LF coil out.
So after about 30 minutes I get a seated dime, and that was enough to satisfy me, and make me feel the trip was worth while. Second seated dime from this site.
About 30 minutes later I get a low tone, and im thinking nickel. I have dug 3 shield nickels out of here, so far.
I open the hole and I see a tiny shiny disk. I didn't realize how small a one dollar gold coin would actually be, so I am thinking what is this tiny piece of junk. Then wait, no freakin way. Could it be?? Yes it is! 1853-0 One Dollar Gold Coin. Being from the south, I really love seeing that 0 mint-mark.
IMG_1570.JPG IMG_1567.JPG View attachment 1658223

A few cleaned up pics, to compare size with seated dime.
IMG_1575.JPG IMG_1576.JPG

I just cant get over how small this one dollar gold piece is.
IMG_1579.JPG IMG_1578.JPG

A couple crusty nickels and an interesting lead seal.
IMG_1580.JPG

Had to stop off and pick up a 32" Shrimp Po-boy to celebrate with.
IMG_1572.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 175

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the compliment & info toasted.
I have been curious/wondering what time frame this was dropped.
Most of the coins have been dating to the 1880's, but the town/area imhunting in goes back a lot further.

Its possible it was dropped in the 1880s. It wasnt until the late 1870s that gold and even silver coins came out of hiding from the economic disturbance of the Civil War. But by then most preffered paper over gold coins for larger transactions in all but the far west. Its why gold coins are so hard to find anywhere else so big congrats. Perhaps the New Orleans gold dollars were never recalled for melting and continued to circulate much longer in the south. It doesnt look to have much wear though. Any cleaned up pics?

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on scoring the gold. That’s everyone’s dream.
You’ve done well when a seated coin is a distant second.

Good luck to you.
Thanks Tom, always a pleasure to hear from ya.
The seated would have made the trip worth while. That gold coin sure caught me off guard.
Its possible it was dropped in the 1880s. It wasnt until the late 1870s that gold and even silver coins came out of hiding from the economic disturbance of the Civil War. But by then most preffered paper over gold coins for larger transactions in all but the far west. Its why gold coins are so hard to find anywhere else so big congrats. Perhaps the New Orleans gold dollars were never recalled for melting and continued to circulate much longer in the south. It doesnt look to have much wear though. Any cleaned up pics?
Thanks again for the info toasted. No cleaned up pics yet. I just got home from work a little while ago. Still unsure on whether to remove more dirt, or just leave it in dug condition. The dirt seems to give it more character. I suppose it is hard to nail down a dropped-date. This is the first item I can say is pre-1860 from this tear-out, but I have dug older stuff from other sites very nearby. A couple weeks ago I dug a 1843 LC a couple hundred yards away. LC's are pretty uncommon down here in the south.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks Tom, always a pleasure to hear from ya.
The seated would have made the trip worth while. That gold coin sure caught me off guard.

Thanks again for the info toasted. No cleaned up pics yet. I just got home from work a little while ago. Still unsure on whether to remove more dirt, or just leave it in dug condition. The dirt seems to give it more character. I suppose it is hard to nail down a dropped-date. This is the first item I can say is pre-1860 from this tear-out, but I have dug older stuff from other sites very nearby. A couple weeks ago I dug a 1843 LC a couple hundred yards away. LC's are pretty uncommon down here in the south.

I’ve never found one LC I truly believe no one except your guy had one down here and he loses it go figure.

I had to buy my New Orleans gold coin. Boy I’m I a sucker. IMG_0466.JPG

Last edited:

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats again BP, thanks for sharing!!! I think you deserve...

Banner II.gif
"D"

Last edited:

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. Sweet gold. I need one someday! 🤑[emoji106]

adit

Apr 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x ,
Tesoro Vaquero
Beautiful gold coin ! :icon_thumleft:
That is one serious size sandwich !

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
You keep the coins and give me that sammich ! Nice batch of goodies!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner good for you you deserve it!!!!!!

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man super awesome find! Great detail too! Banner! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that awesome gold dollar! My banner vote is in, and "ONLY" took 7+ years?? I've been at it for 27 years, thousands of old coins, none gold!

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a beautiful gold coin!! Very awesome!!! :occasion14:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the gold! that 32" inch sandwich is crazy, but sure looks good

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Awesome!!! I had to look at this post before I ate anything didn't I? Now I'm hungry in more ways than one!!!:thumbsup:

s-l1000.jpg

Last edited:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely Banner!
HH
dts

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome gold!! Still has that just dug look to it, got my banner vote, but it will cost you a bite of that po boy(:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread