What's new

Check out this drilled rock!!!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2013
Messages
1,680
Reaction score
1,690
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandmother use to own this property when I was a kid and is where we hunted. The story that was passed down through my family is that the Indians used the rock to grind corn in. Today is the first time I have been to it in 20 years. The area has also been known to produce some great arrowheads over the years......so what do u guys think of this rock?
 

Attachments

  • KIMG0078.webp
    KIMG0078.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 191
Upvote 0
Very cool- I have seen some like it in New Mexico.

Usually there will be more than one, any others around there?
 
By the depth of it they lived in that area for a long time. I have seen a few of them in my area. I wonder what the pestle looked like.
 
That is a nice one I know of no other explanation for your area. Would like to find one like that!
 
You want to know what i think, thats cool as heck, and i would be seeing if i could get it and put it somewhere that i could keep a eye on it. because i for one would love to have it.
 
Somebody needs to run a plow through that field.! That's a great find.
 
Long ago I saw a rock like that in my area and the pestle was with it. On my next visit the pestle was gone. Wish I could remember where it was and do some detecting around.
 
Forget the plow, get a small backhoe and go for it! I think you got a winner there. Probably a zillion artifacts within a few hundred yards.
 
Owner is kinda funny about his property....but he did let us hunt the creek near the rock. Field is all pasture now and hasn't been plowed for 25 years. I do know that the old lady who owned the adjoining property had a 5 gallon bucket of arrowheads that she had found over the years and use to use them for means of paying young boys to mow her yard!
 
Rent the field? Seriously. I have a place I'm trying to make an arrangement to pay the farmer to plow this fall.
 
Its called a bedrock mortar, and thats a very big one! Thanks for the photo!
 
That is very neat. Would love to find one of those!
 
That's a big one for sure. There may have been a good sized population there at some point. If you look on google earth, you may be able to see the remnants of teepee rings or other signs of semi permanent housing. They may not look like much more than faint shadows in the terrain, but the circular or other unnatural looking geometric formations will be the giveaway.
 
Probably for acorns, hickory, beech and hazel nuts more than corn, but it certainly looks like a big bedrock mortar to me.

A family could put away several months of fatty calories if they processed nuts from a couple of acres of forest.
 
I've never seen anything like that! It seems to have gotten a lot of use. Good chance more artifacts are in the area. Thanks for sharing.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom