Check out this mountain of cache blades!

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

Attachments

• phpfCpsaAPM.jpg
    phpfCpsaAPM.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 4,449
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Unreal, I cant get over that picture. It's in the back of a book called ' Arrowpoints, Spearheads, & Knives '

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen that picture a few times and I'm amazed every time I see it. The sad thing is those blades are either stored away in boxes in the basement of some museum, probably the Historical Society Of Ohio since Moorehead dug them up or they went to England where a lot of stuff from the Ohio mounds ended up.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
SRV said:
I've seen that picture a few times and I'm amazed every time I see it. The sad thing is those blades are either stored away in boxes in the basement of some museum, probably the Historical Society Of Ohio since Moorehead dug them up or they went to England where a lot of stuff from the Ohio mounds ended up.

What a shame. Same thing happened to the woodland mounds in WV. They took everything in the mounds and disappeared with it. There is some debate and protest about bringing it back to the state where it belongs. I really doubt it'll change anything though.

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! that is unbelievable I live in ross county, mound city sits right of st.route 104.
the prison is right next to it.the city of chillicothe. is about 2 miles from the site.those mounds are
quite impressive. one mound was just all pipes. makes sense one of the mounds had all those
cache blades.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
choo said:
Wow! that is unbelievable I live in ross county, mound city sits right of st.route 104.
the prison is right next to it.the city of chillicothe. is about 2 miles from the site.those mounds are
quite impressive. one mound was just all pipes. makes sense one of the mounds had all those
cache blades.

Wow, all pipes, amazing. Just speculating, but perhaps these were used as ancient currency banks. Must have been a healthy population in that village by the number of blades in that pile.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think after digging about 1500 you would be sayong oh no not another cache blade !!!! Nahhhh No Way. Great old photograph. I would also say stored away from public veiw or sold and stolen by curators. Nice one 37.
Happy Huntin
TnMtns

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
TnMountains said:
Do you think after digging about 1500 you would be sayong oh no not another cache blade !!!! Nahhhh No Way. Great old photograph. I would also say stored away from public veiw or sold and stolen by curators. Nice one 37.
Happy Huntin
TnMtns

Thanks Tn. lol..." Not another chipped disk of flint", but seriously you'd hear me yell in Tn. if I stumbled upon a cache like that.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
I've got that book, and that picture is unreal! That has to be the largest cache eve found. Does anyone know of another similar?

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
naturegirl said:
I've got that book, and that picture is unreal! That has to be the largest cache eve found. Does anyone know of another similar?

I haven't found anything that really even compares yet on the internet. Still searching for large Amerind caches. How'd you like the drawings / engravings in that book naturegirl? Most of the info in that book is outdated but the illustrations are great imo, excellent study material.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
There are certain pictures that tend to stick with a person, that's one of the more memorable ones. The cluster of arrow points from Cahokia, Dickson Mounds and certain Spiro Mound photos do it for me too.

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

I do know of a larger Cache. Its called the Crib mound cache found in March 1965 in Spencer county, Indiana. They were washed out by the Ohio river. The total number that can be accounted for is almost 11 thousand, and believed to have been more than 12,000. If you have the october issue of The Central States archy Journal,October 1968 , you can view the pics as well as read the artical on it told by the finder.(page144-147) It is an amazing story. Thanks for the post. John

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

a pic of the pic in the mag. John

Attachments

• crib mound cache 003.jpg
    crib mound cache 003.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,858
OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Flintfinder of Mo. said:
I do know of a larger Cache. Its called the Crib mound cache found in March 1965 in Spencer county, Indiana. They were washed out by the Ohio river. The total number that can be accounted for is almost 11 thousand, and believed to have been more than 12,000. If you have the october issue of The Central States archy Journal,October 1968 , you can view the pics as well as read the artical on it told by the finder.(page144-147) It is an amazing story. Thanks for the post. John

Cool, thanks for the info John. I've noticed alot of the Crib mound stuff is circulating in the market and for sale on some sites. 12,000...incredible.

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

No to steal your thread, but for the folks that dont have the Journals ,or info on the biggest cache ever found. I also found an update in the Jan 1969 CSA journal (pages 42-45) The pics are unreal, It says that the cache area is 3 feet deep by 16 feet in diameter, and that the Cache of over 12,000 blades wieghed almost 5,000 lbs. Like I said the Insitu pics are unreal. very interesting thanks again 37. John

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
great thread 37,not to step on your post but since we are talking mounds and insitus and stuff i thought i would throw up a pic of one of my favorite insitus.alot of you have seen the adena man pipe,how about the insitu?this was dug up in 1901 in the adena mound not far from mound city where the large cache was dug up.
1011737333974_Om1289_002.jpg

1011470913218_Om1289_001.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread