Check out this mountain of cache blades!

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

Attachments

• phpfCpsaAPM.jpg
    phpfCpsaAPM.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 4,453
Upvote 0

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
thirty7 said:
Thanks for adding that Greg, what a find! great insitu. What a rich cultue that was living along that river in Ohio. I'm amazed at the workmanship, and attention to detail in these woodland effigy pipes. What's the length of that pipe? looks huge.
yea its a very cool relic.i am pretty sure it is around 7 and a half inches tall and 2 or 3 inches wide.the river is the scioto,maybe we will go huntn it if you ever get up this way? :headbang:

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
creek astronaut said:
thirty7 said:
Thanks for adding that Greg, what a find! great insitu. What a rich cultue that was living along that river in Ohio. I'm amazed at the workmanship, and attention to detail in these woodland effigy pipes. What's the length of that pipe? looks huge.
yea its a very cool relic.i am pretty sure it is around 7 and a half inches tall and 2 or 3 inches wide.the river is the scioto,maybe we will go huntn it if you ever get up this way? :headbang:

Figured it was big. Love to do some Ohio hunting, you guys are right in the thick of it. I think the ancients in my area were on the poor side, survival first, no down time to get ornate and creative. I never find effigies, or decorative pieces. I could be wrong though and just haven't walked up on it yet. The early archaic and paleo pockets keeps it interesting though.

P

pickaway

The Adena pipe is on display at the OHS, "Mound city" and the "Hopewell Farm" are 2 different sites,there are alot of earthworks in Ross county.

P

pickaway

Some pics of artifacts from the "Hopewell Farm" where cache was found...
hwf1.jpg

hwf2.jpg

hwf3.jpg

hwf4.jpg

hwf5.jpg

hwf6.jpg

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Very nice addition pick, great pictures and illustrations, thanks

(edit) Hey Pick the points at the top of the page on your 5th picture. Does it say the type in the caption? I cant quite make it out.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pickaway said:
Some pics of artifacts from the Hopewell farm where cache was found...

hwf2.jpg

Those copper culture "swastikas" are incredible. :o

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
The first time I saw a swastika in association with native american cultures was a Navajo bowl I believe. They show up in Hopi design, and some Mississippian culture pottery too. Carl Sagan had a theory on this prolific symbol and said it was likely an image of a comet approaching earth.

wildcatman71

Apr 2, 2007
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300, Vintage Tesoro Sidewinder
thirty7 said:
The first time I saw a swastika in association with native american cultures was a Navajo bowl I believe. They show up in Hopi design, and some Mississippian culture pottery too. Carl Sagan had a theory on this prolific symbol and said it was likely an image of a comet approaching earth.

Hey thirty7...you really started some great stuff here huh? Awesome.....hey if you would check out the post I just made....about the clovis point...and tell me what you think. Thanks!

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Thanks guys, lil' something to whet the appetite in the offseason. If I keep thinking caches maybe I'll find one...yeah right. Nice addition Little John, some fantastic artifacts on that page, those little warpoints are killers.

Speaking of offseason, just heard we're supposed to get half inch of ice followed by 2 to 4 feet of snow. Just when things were looking good too...WTF!

Hopewell

Greenie
Nov 22, 2009
In regards to the cache in mound 2 at the Hopewell site, Squier and Davis initially discovered the cache in 1846, and their's are in the British Museum. Moorehead found the next group in 1891 and his are scattered at the Field Museum, Ohio Historical Society, Phillips Academy, Milwaukee Public Museum and private collections. I have done a lot of research on the site, and there is even rumors of local prostitutes in Chillicothe being paid off with cache blades and earspools. Moorehead and others made the comment that every local farmer seemed to have some of these blades. Henry Shetrone is the last person to discover more of the cache in 1922-1925; he worked for the Ohio Historical Society, and they got the majority of his, but some went to private hands.

Attached is a photo of several in my collection from the cache along with some drilled,burned bear canines, two bars and a faceted crystal. I have a number of pieces from this, and other well-known Hopewell sites in Ohio.

Sincerely,
John

Attachments

• hopewell 159.jpg
    hopewell 159.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,122
P

pickaway

Hopewell said:
In regards to the cache in mound 2 at the Hopewell site, Squier and Davis initially discovered the cache in 1846, and their's are in the British Museum. Moorehead found the next group in 1891 and his are scattered at the Field Museum, Ohio Historical Society, Phillips Academy, Milwaukee Public Museum and private collections. I have done a lot of research on the site, and there is even rumors of local prostitutes in Chillicothe being paid off with cache blades and earspools. Moorehead and others made the comment that every local farmer seemed to have some of these blades. Henry Shetrone is the last person to discover more of the cache in 1922-1925; he worked for the Ohio Historical Society, and they got the majority of his, but some went to private hands.

Attached is a photo of several in my collection from the cache along with some drilled,burned bear canines, two bars and a faceted crystal. I have a number of pieces from this, and other well-known Hopewell sites in Ohio.

Sincerely,
John

Thanks for the info and look at the artifacts John... Got any info on the earthworks that were in Circleville? Never have seen much info on them i think Atwater dug or had seen artifacts from them if I recall correctly?

Hopewell

Greenie
Nov 22, 2009
No problem at all; glad to share them.

Pickaway - I have a copy of the earliest map done of the Circleville Works from the 1780s. They were first described by Reverend David Jones when he was traveling among the Shawnee in 1771. I know of a copper celt that was found within the earthworks before they were totally destroyed. Dr. Jarrod Burks has done a lot of remote sensing at sites and actually discovered some previously unknown earthworks North of Circleville.

Sincerely,
John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions