What's new

Check those dirty coins

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2004
Messages
1,831
Reaction score
46
Golden Thread
0
Location
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just we thru a box I picked up a couple of days ago, and about a dozen looked like they had been thru a fire or something. There was a lot of rough buildup on them, You could not tell a date without using a magnifying glass or something, there was so much junk on it. In fact it almost looked like rust also, but as we know silver does not rust. It turns out there was 1 64, 5 40% and 6 clad. A couple of hours in the tumbler and the silver looked good, and the major crud was off of the clad, good enuff to turn back in. Wish I had thought about taking before and after pics. If I get any in the next box I will remember to do that, but main message is dont ignore those really crappy looking ones, it could be a keeper.
 
Upvote 0
I got some of these that you described a while back Wayne. Quite a few actually. They looked like they have been in a fire or heated in some type of way.

I not only look at the edges but I pick them up in one hand in the stack form and drop them into my other other listening for that distinctive "clinking" sound that silver rmakes.

Your right though....these that you describe could easliy be missed if you just look at edges.
 
your persistence paid off wayne.

nicely done
 
Good advice.I'm blind in one eye and can barely see out of the other lately so I use a loupe and scan the edges of the whole roll first.If I see anything promising ,I'll take a closer look at the face of the coin.The last 3 40%'ers I found were all filthy ,almost black and you couldn't have told what they were without a magnifier. Actually I think that this is the only reason they were in there to be found to begin with,because they were so dirty,the other CRH's missed them in their search. :o ;) I say this because i've only found 4 in the last 25 boxes.
 
Great thread. I almost missed a Bennie the other day. He really needed a bath.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom