What's new

Chert on North Florida beach.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
14,812
Reaction score
6,156
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back yesterday from a trip to St Augustine.
I stayed two days on Vilano beach.
I spent most of my time collecting fossil shark teeth,metal detecting and going to museums and archaeological sites.
As Many of you probably know paleo and early archaic Florida was much larger due to lower water levels and many sites near what was the shoreline at that time are now under the ocean.
Through the years many paleo projectile points have been found on the beaches of that area.
I thought it was going to be a lucky day for me when some reduction pieces started to show up in one area that showed signs of fairly recent storm activity.
It wasn't to be.. but I still thought I would show you what I found as they are still artifacts in the literal sense of the word.
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130714_181702.webp
    ForumRunner_20130714_181702.webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bag-O-teeth

ForumRunner_20130714_193711.webp
 
Lots of teeth! That beach house looks good bet you had a blast.
 
the beach would have artifacts if they dredge out a bot for sand replenishment, we have a few beaches over here that have paleos found on it due to this. That chert doesn't look like it has been in the saltwater very long, all the points found from the ocean have been black even coral geodes we find, they are either black or blue
 
I agree totally with what you said..and that is very possible.. though I'm not sure how much sand replenishment happens on this sparsely populated stretch of barrier island north of St. Augustine... There were tree stumps Sticking out of the lower beach That were black and hard as rock.
I figured I would put some info in with this post weather I could directly tie it to my finds or not.
While we are talking beach finds..here is one from the Treasure coast further south from three weeks ago.
Found in a shell pile.

point.webp
 
Last edited:
Nice Finds! Sounds like you had a blast looking for those sharks teeth. Thanks for sharing.
 
Thanks..It was a nice break.
 
Last edited:
This is what's on the other side of the road that is just on the back side of the dunes.

ForumRunner_20130716_222701.webp
 
Ever hunt down around Islamorada,Fla?
 
Nope.. never have.
I avoid south Florida completely for many reasons.. there's not alot down there either.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom