Chinese Coin ID

Reignman

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2020
Manitoba
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this coin in my mom's old coin collection, just wondering if anyone here would be able to identify it for me?
PXL_20230211_151744815.jpg
PXL_20230211_151735782.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

It’s a Qing (Ch’ing) Dynasty ‘one cash’ coin of Qianlong (Ch’ien-Lung) Emperor, also known by his posthumous temple name Gaosong (Kao Tsung). This would be the correct orientation of your coin to read the characters:

Cash.jpg

He reigned from 1736-1796 and your coin is from the regular series produced between 1736-1795. He abdicated from the throne in 1796 as a mark of respect to avoid reigning longer than his grandfather’s 61 years as Emperor, but retained ultimate power as Retired Emperor until his death in 1799. Like most old Chinese cash coins, imitations were made in later times for use as charms and celebratory gifts, but as far as I can tell, your is original... although not valuable.

The reverse has the Chinese and Manchu characters for “Boo Ciowan” (Pao-Ch'uan), the Board of Revenue mint in Beijing or “the Fountain head of the currency".

OP
OP
R

Reignman

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2020
Manitoba
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

It’s a Qing (Ch’ing) Dynasty ‘one cash’ coin of Qianlong (Ch’ien-Lung) Emperor, also known by his posthumous temple name Gaosong (Kao Tsung). This would be the correct orientation of your coin to read the characters:

View attachment 2069082

He reigned from 1736-1796 and your coin is from the regular series produced between 1736-1795. He abdicated from the throne in 1796 as a mark of respect to avoid reigning longer than his grandfather’s 61 years as Emperor, but retained ultimate power as Retired Emperor until his death in 1799. Like most old Chinese cash coins, imitations were made in later times for use as charms and celebratory gifts, but as far as I can tell, your is original... although not valuable.

The reverse has the Chinese and Manchu characters for “Boo Ciowan” (Pao-Ch'uan), the Board of Revenue mint in Beijing or “the Fountain head of the currency".
Awesome thanks so much for the detailed response. Great to know the history behind the coin. Now I can properly identify it and add to my collection.

Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread