Chinese Coin Research.

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I though I would start this thread about Chinese coins. So here we go.

Note: I found this info from a Chinese language video and a couple of Chinese language websites about coin research.

My first Chinese coin research discovery:

乾隆通宝 Qianlong tongbao.

A Chinese coin commonly found in North America while metal detecting.

There is a way to ballpark date some of the qianlong coins. These identifiable coins were minted at the end of his reign and during the start of the Jiaqing Emperor reign.

History:
From Wikipedia:
"In October 1795, the 60th year of his reign, the Qianlong Emperor announced his intention to abdicate in favour of Prince Jia. He made this decision because he felt that it was disrespectful for him to rule longer than his grandfather, the Kangxi Emperor, who was on the throne for 61 years. Prince Jia ascended the throne and adopted the era name "Jiaqing" in February 1796, hence he is historically known as the Jiaqing Emperor. For the next three years however, the Jiaqing Emperor was emperor in name only because decisions were still made by his father, who became a Taishang Huang (emperor emeritus) after his abdication."

Coin differences:

In 1796 because Qianlong Emperor was still in power two types of coins were minted: the new Jiaqing Emperor coins and a slightly different designed Qianlong coin. Six years into Jiaqing Emperor's reign (around 1802) they stopped minting Qianlong coins.

The difference:

The difference is in the "long" character 隆 . On the bottom right hand side of the long character has the characters 一 and 生 (yi and sheng). The yisheng coins are quite common. However, the 隆 long character bottom right approximately 1796-1802 had the character 山 shan.

Below are two photos with the differences. First one is a coin before 1796 with yisheng and the second one is 1796-1802 with shan.

yisheng.jpg

shan.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing... Any information you want to teach or share on Tnet is interesting to me.

So... Keep up any and all posts. :)

OP
OP
Yang Hao

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Guys. When I get more info about Chinese coins I'll post it in this thread. I have some more research info I hope to post soon. However, one part of the research which so far has eluded me is the way to ID real and fake Chinese coins. I did run into some info about the subject. Unfortunately, that info was more about how to spot fake coins purchased online (fake coins that were recently made). In fact, in one video, the presenter said some fakes are buried in the ground for a length of time to give them an "aged" look.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you Yang Hao! I look forward to seeing what else you post on this thread!

Digalotajunk

Jan 4, 2018
KCMO
Detector(s) used
Have used a Bounty hunter "Lone Star," Tesoro "Cibola." I now use an XP Deus.
MI6 pinpointer
Lesche digging tool
Predator piranha shovel
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can you help me with a coin, please?

I though I would start this thread about Chinese coins. So here we go.

Note: I found this info from a Chinese language video and a couple of Chinese language websites about coin research.

My first Chinese coin research discovery:

乾隆通宝 Qianlong tongbao.

A Chinese coin commonly found in North America while metal detecting.

There is a way to ballpark date some of the qianlong coins. These identifiable coins were minted at the end of his reign and during the start of the Jiaqing Emperor reign.

History:
From Wikipedia:
"In October 1795, the 60th year of his reign, the Qianlong Emperor announced his intention to abdicate in favour of Prince Jia. He made this decision because he felt that it was disrespectful for him to rule longer than his grandfather, the Kangxi Emperor, who was on the throne for 61 years. Prince Jia ascended the throne and adopted the era name "Jiaqing" in February 1796, hence he is historically known as the Jiaqing Emperor. For the next three years however, the Jiaqing Emperor was emperor in name only because decisions were still made by his father, who became a Taishang Huang (emperor emeritus) after his abdication."

Coin differences:

In 1796 because Qianlong Emperor was still in power two types of coins were minted: the new Jiaqing Emperor coins and a slightly different designed Qianlong coin. Six years into Jiaqing Emperor's reign (around 1802) they stopped minting Qianlong coins.

The difference:

The difference is in the "long" character 隆 . On the bottom right hand side of the long character has the characters 一 and 生 (yi and sheng). The yisheng coins are quite common. However, the 隆 long character bottom right approximately 1796-1802 had the character 山 shan.

Below are two photos with the differences. First one is a coin before 1796 with yisheng and the second one is 1796-1802 with shan.

View attachment 1895251

View attachment 1895252

I have tried doing research on this coin, and all it has given me is a headache!
ANY information would be appreciated!!
20210130_134041.jpg

Digalotajunk

Jan 4, 2018
KCMO
Detector(s) used
Have used a Bounty hunter "Lone Star," Tesoro "Cibola." I now use an XP Deus.
MI6 pinpointer
Lesche digging tool
Predator piranha shovel
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is the back. I found this metal detecting. Most things I find in this area are from the late 1800s to the 1950s.
THANKS AGAIN! 20210131_002757.jpg

OP
OP
Yang Hao

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Yang Hao

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across a photo while looking at metal detectors for sale on TaoBao (China's ebay). Past purchasers can upload photos of products which can be seen by people who are considering buying that product. In this case it's of a coin found recently using that metal detector.

I thought I would add this photo to the thread because it's unique and may not be found by treasure hunters outside of China.

beisong.PNG

This is called a 熙宁重宝 xi ning zhong bao. It's from the North Song Dynasty and was minted around 1068AD. The emperor at that time was 神宗 Shénzōng

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Shenzong_of_Song

The coin script looks different then ones found in North America. That script is called 篆书 zhuanshu or seal script and it's a form of Chinese calligraphy.
This coin is also read clockwise starting at the top.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Song-dynasty

Last edited:

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You so much for that info.