Choosing a bank

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trial and error, CRHlover. You never know unless you try. You can't pick out a specific bank like a Wells Fargo and say, "Wells Fargo is bad". It varies from branch to branch. I can do 20-box orders at a Wells Fargo two hours north of where I live, but I can't order one box at any of the Wells Fargo branches in my immediate area.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's like choosing a woman. Pick the one that's low maintenance (no fees) and can satisfy your needs (willing to order for you).

OP
OP
C

CRHlover

Jul 29, 2013
It's like choosing a woman. Pick the one that's low maintenance (no fees) and can satisfy your needs (willing to order for you).

Haha that's a great way to put it! And ok I'll just try all the ones in my area!

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I order and pick up at 2-3 bank of America's in my area. And then I dump at credit unions around the area like San Diego county credit union, Wells Fargo, and mission federal credit union (coin machine scoree!). But just figure out what works best for you. And don't pick up at a BOA and then dump at a different BOA, can get you cut off from both. HH!

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha that's a great way to put it! And ok I'll just try all the ones in my area!

If you read my past posts I sound like a broken record, but it is extremely important to build a relationship with your banks or ease into things with them.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you read my past posts I sound like a broken record, but it is extremely important to build a relationship with your banks or ease into things with them.

I agree with this. If I were to do it all over again, I'd take it a step further. I'd also ease into the amount of banks you open accounts with. If you join one bank every two months, you can concentrate not only on building the relationship with the employees of that bank, but also hitting all the milestones that some banks have for opening an account with them. Bonus cash, plus you get rid of the "do you have accounts with us?" question. It's a win-win. But it is a lot harder keeping up with hitting all of those milestones when you join five banks in two weeks... :)

TheNotoriousA.G.

Apr 29, 2013
Detector(s) used
Hands & Ears
Primary Interest:
Other
Again, like a woman... :occasion14:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I acutally deal with about 15 different banks..Only 2 Branches...but lately i have been using the coinstar for an Amazon eCertificate..its really hit or miss to me

Deeseven

Jul 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as Diggin-N-Dumps has said, I also deal with around 15 banks/branches but I only order from 1. The others I use as a dump/check for random weird coins. Sometimes it is hit or miss but sometimes it works out well :).

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I do:

When I first started I got boxes of halves from random banks. Through trial and error I figured out which armored car service was best for finding silver in my area. From there, I would figure out which armored car service potential dump/pickup banks used. The easiest way to do this for me is to buy a roll of quarters and dimes at a branch. If you know what each carrier's rolls look like you can figure out who they use. For dump banks I look for the one's that have the best coin counters and the best hours. (I have a dump bank that I can dump at between 7 am and 8:30 pm six days a week and from 11-5pm on sundays)
For pickup banks, I tried one that I knew used my carrier of choice and that I know other hunters on here use. They have a billion locations so ordering volume is super easy.
My other main pickup bank which is actually even better as far as hours I found randomly: I went into a branch asking for loose halves and the teller offered to order me as many boxes as I wanted. I fessed up that I didn't have an account and I opened one on the spot and she ordered me 3 boxes.

Your best bet is to go into whatever bank you want to use and talk to them honestly. In my area I have only been told that I can't order halves by like one or two banks ever and I have probably ordered from 25 or 30 different branches of various bank chains.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread