What's new

Chopmarks help ID

Trez

Hero Member
Joined
May 10, 2006
Messages
768
Reaction score
269
Golden Thread
0
Location
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I think I came to the right place...
OK all you experts enthusiasts...can someone decipher these chop-marks?

Trez
 

Attachments

  • chopmarksunknown.webp
    chopmarksunknown.webp
    153.1 KB · Views: 397
Chop marks are post-mint marks put on coins (usually by merchants) to show they have been tested for authenticity (adequacy of silver content). Each merchant (or person) would have their own chop mark.
The 'sangii' mark could be related to a moth or flower that is so named, or it could be a company name or simply a chosen name by the merchant/individual who received the coin and warranted its value.
Good luck on attempting to find the specific "Who done it?" source for those marks.
Don...
PS: Trez, good to see you back; I await more of your spot-on COB IDs. Happy New Year.
 
Upvote 0
I somehow missed this post. Im bumping it up because we have some members that can read those characters at least. Is this a Spanish silver coin Trez?
 
Upvote 0
The right two characters read "Ichi-en", or the old way of writing "One Yen". This was used on Japanese/Chinese coins

The left two characters I cannot read - suggesting they are Chinese. Sorry I can't be more help
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom