What's new

✅ SOLVED Ok, so I know it’s a trigger guard…. From what?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2013
Messages
9,946
Reaction score
19,958
Golden Thread
3
Location
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this on an 1820s property, pretty deep. I recognized it pretty much right away as to what it is, but I’d love to pin down the specific kinda gun it came from. Ok experts, let’s go!
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp


Thanks all!
 
It looks thick and heavy, like from a military rifle. I can tell you what it is not from. It’s not a Union Springfield or a confederate Enfield from the civil war. I looked for a match without any luck.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Gary… I’ve been looking for two days, got nothing. It doesn’t seem broken, but I could possibly be, that’s why it’s throwing me..
 
Upvote 0
The key to IDing this is the area I circled. Only found a few trigger guards that have a dual prong like this. None of them matched up with what the OP has.

I looked at enough trigger guards, that I was dreaming about them. I can't say for sure if it is a trigger guard.

20260507_120715.webp
 
Upvote 0
It is a fragment of the type of trigger guard used on muzzle loading sporting rifles of the 1830s and later. As the 19th century progressed American rifles tended to become more gracefully shaped than the rifles of the 18th century had been. This was achieved primarily by making the buttstock thinner and smaller. This gave the later rifles a very graceful appearance but made them muzzle-heavy. To counter this, trigger guards began to be made with spurs on the outside of the guard to be held with fingers of the trigger hand. If you do an image search for “Kentucky trigger guard” you will see many examples.
 
Upvote 0
I agree that is looks like a piece of a trigger guard, maybe part of one like this...


View attachment 2252897
Thanks @AU Seeker, I think you’re onto something here. I really don’t see anything exactly like mine. At first I didn’t consider it could be broken, and after being in the ground for so long, it’s too tough to determine if it is. So I’ll mark this as solved… appreciate you, and the other guys who chimed in.
 
Upvote 0
It's seldom possible to positively identify these early gun parts. Individual makers often cast their own parts and the number of variations is almost endless. Even two guns from the same maker may have very different furniture. About the best one can do on something like this is identify the approximate era and "school" meaning the area the gun was built. This one being broken and missing a large portion even that much of an ID would be really tough.
 
Upvote 0
Hi Dave, that is a really cool rifle trigger guard. As l. Cutler pointed out, nailing down an exact maker would be nigh impossible. However, that little prong on the bottom of the guard is a rather unique feature. When I see that I think "Ohio longrifle." Hard to say but many Ohio rifles have this feature. You can search "Ohio longrifle" on Google and see some similar examples. Here is one that looks pretty similar that was one of the first hits when I looked that up

1778495332711.webp
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi Dave, that is a really cool rifle trigger guard. As l. Cutler pointed out, nailing down an exact maker would be nigh impossible. However, that little prong on the bottom of the guard is a rather unique feature. When I see that I think "Ohio longrifle." Hard to say but many Ohio rifles have this feature. You can search "Ohio longrifle" on Google and see some similar examples. Here is one that looks pretty similar that was one of the first hits when I looked that up

View attachment 2253281
vERY BEAUTIFUL RIFLES !
 
Upvote 0
Thanks guys…. Is there an appropriate date range for this?
 
Upvote 0
Great find!

Evolving from German gun builders in America through customer demands and during different eras there were regional "schools" of influence.
From Jaegers through golden age long rifles that looked like art more than function there were distinct features. Compared to trade guns (Dutch club butts to, French , to English, and who else?) of varied countries and utilitarian purpose.

Pa. rifles. Tenn. rifles. Ohio rifles. All had historic pedigrees of one sort or another.
Of course firearms traveled and inspired designs.
But more , builders had creative liberty at times.
Subtle but as recognizable as a brand name.
Trigger guards were one such area.
A quick file work and a tang has a new shape . One I had was a pineapple on one end of the guard and a liberty cap on the other of recalled correctly.
That was on a 1600's inspired Leigh Valley Pa. school of build rifle. Just past mid century.

A builder could cast brass in house.
Or depending on locale and purse buy parts.
They could still as above make them custom/unique to a given builder.
Brass being scarce at times could be recycled. As could parts.
Now and them a group of metal objects turns up that seem to be a resource more than any one objects parts. Making a single gun part tricky. More so one that shouldn't ordinarily be free to wander away from it's host.
Oh it could and likely did happen somewhere.
Back when in the day(s) ; such found would likely get picked up. Or stashed where recoverable again.

Chase eras and schools and pics to ty to match the trigger guard.
Allow some creative license if no an exact match.
A user annoyed at something that catches could modify a guard easy enough as well.
Watch widths. A certain guard might flare below the trigger a lot but still be consistent it's whole length where the stock is inlet to house it.Use that to start formulating a likely era.

Your stingy pictures don't tell me if the piece was pinned or screwed to secure it.
I don't see tabs for pin holes but...Can't really see regardless.

Here's a pic of some repro's of some alleged Golden Age guards.
Note the tabs allowing pin holes to be drilled.
But too the plain surface a smith could shape like yours if desired.
The front tang (towards barrel of rifle) you'll recognize in Eastern patterns. Start with Pa. maybe if a chase down the rabbit hole is desired.
1778515298100.webp
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom