Christmas Eve Miracle: MY FIRST GW BUTTON!!!!

ContinentalClint

Sep 10, 2013
Southeast MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E Trac, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ATX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out for a short, hour and a half hunt at a farm that I've been hitting almost weekly for the past three years. I've dug silver halves, coppers, buttons, jewelry... Everything from there. I thought for sure this place was almost hunted out, but I proved myself wrong. On the first swing of the day, I got a deep 13:46 on the E Trac and popped out a 1945 Merc! After about 45 minutes of digging clad and junk, I flipped up the plug, scraped out the dirt at the bottom, and saw a folded disc sitting there. Thinking it was just a piece of a pocket watch or something, I picked it up and started to bend it brush it a bit. When I saw the wing of the Chicken Hawk, I almost passed out. Two weird things about it stuck out to me. The first was the fact that last year on Christmas Eve, I went to the same exact site and found 3 coppers and a 1901 S half. The other weird thing was that I know that I've walked over that exact spot at least 10 times. Within a 20 square foot area, I've found an 1802 large cent, 1832 Nova Scotia copper, and a New York coat button.
Anyways, definitely my best find ever. If anyone can help me ID the exact variety, that'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419476246.295700.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419476269.312598.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419476284.631042.jpg

I believe it's this variety, but if anyone knows for sure I'd love to know. Thanks for looking!

Upvote 19

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Leonard Short (540)230-5442 email addy: [email protected]

Here is a Tnet link to a GW Button he restored for another member. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...tored-pics-g-w-button-found-october-20th.html.

It was my GW that got restored. Leonard Short does fantastic work! I will PM you with the details of my button restoration.
Great find for sure! Don't rule out that there may be another one or two around.

VPR

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was my GW that got restored. Leonard Short does fantastic work! I will PM you with the details of my button restoration.
Great find for sure! Don't rule out that there may be another one or two around.

VPR

What a result that is! Wow he really knows what he is doing. I guess I would t have to think long about sending my button to him. That great info VPR! Tnet at it's best

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
What a result that is! Wow he really knows what he is doing. I guess I would t have to think long about sending my button to him. That great info VPR! Tnet at it's best

You should see some of the other restorations that he has done. Buttons, Beltplates, Slave Tags........ The guy is truly a gifted!

VPR

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on recovering the "Big One" in the button category! That's a button that a lot of detectorists are trying to find. If I were you, I'd make certain to be back at the site next year on Christmas Eve! Terrific Find!

H2oHunter

May 4, 2012
Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Garett, Fisher, Troy Whtes.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wtg congrats

WTG Congratulations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread